needs v. wants...

iVillage Member
needs v. wants...
Mon, 11-30-2009 - 7:27pm

This isn't a question, nor a vent - somewhere in between.

"I know God will not give me more than I can handle, I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much!" Mother Theresa

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 7:02am
I agree with you!! Gift giving for kids should be fun!! I always try to make it fun and give my nieces and nephews what they want! As for my own kids, I try to find a happy middle... some gifts are needs, some are wants!

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 7:59am

Aw, that's very sweet. Maybe you could find gifts that are fun and functional.

For example, my mom recently bought some sheets for some children who didn't have decent sheets, but she made sure each set had the child's favorite characters on them. They were so excited and still love their "new room." I bet the thrill has lasted longer than the joy from a new toy would have, too.

Or, if you buy a pair of gloves, maybe you could hide

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-02-2009 - 6:53pm
So true, I remember the year I snuck in Pokemon bed comforters as a Christmas gift. The boys LOVED them!

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 9:53pm

I saw something on "my" Christmas board that went something like this (for parents giving to their kids)

Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
Something to read

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 7:45am

"Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
Something to read"

Nice!

Colleen

Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 3:34pm
I like that!

"I know God will not give me more than I can handle, I just wish he wouldn't trust me so much!" Mother Theresa

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 3:28pm

My family use to have the "twin presents" plan:

1) Something you need but a better quality than you would buy for yourself e.g. a $60 toaster with features (although sometimes we would cheat and buy something that they have to buy but is really expensive and it would help their budget,like my Mom needs to buy special non-prescription - so non-refundable - creams for her skin condition every month)

2) Something fun, usually an entertainment item for over the holiday e.g. book or a DVD of a TV season.

It was a good idea and we liked having the balance of need vs. wants, necessity versus luxury. Also, I think everyone appreciated getting a good quality version of their need! It was a need but still luxurious.

So it was similar to the want, need, wear, read concept but I think the difference of a great quality item is key if you have that Christmas Splurge tradition that you need to maintain. I mean, people say it is too commercial but if you are frugal all year, sometimes you need the treat at the end of the year.