Cash-only Christmas? Celebrate here!

iVillage Member
Cash-only Christmas? Celebrate here!
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 9:08am

Did you make it through your Christmas shopping - gifts, decorations, groceries, and all - without incurring any new debt?

If so, celebrate here and tell us how you did it!

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 9:23am

We did it! Woo-hoo! This is our third cash-only Christmas.

We did it by shopping early and over several months, and deciding on a gift list and a budget for every person's gift. As a surprise result, this year's gifts were the most personal.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 11:35am

I bought a couple of boxes of cards at the dollar store and we only bought one gift for the grandbaby. I had a lot of decorations, lights, etc. and gave a box of them away on Freecycle. So definitely a cash-only Christmas.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 12:04pm

The only thing I put on a credit card was my purchase at Kohl's and that was so I could save an extra 20%.

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 12:55pm

Yep, cash only Christmas here too! This is our 3rd year I think. We put money in a seperate savings account throughout the year for Christmas. This year I didn't spend it all! We still have $100 left in the account and I've already added $10 to the account.

I have plenty of Christmas cards left over from the last several years, I shouldn't need to buy any more cards

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 3:33pm

Well, I was in debt from a period of unemployment but I paid it off just before Christmas (part of a gift to my Mom - she said that was all she wanted. Liar but I know it made her feel easier). The way I did it can't really be replicated: I lived very frugally and finally got a short contract so I had money!

I did, however, often use a credit card that give grocery points (as does my bank). After a year's worth of collecting, I cash them in every Christmas...

And, except for that period of unemployment where I bought clothes for the dress code only to find the job disappeared before my first day, I always pay off my credit card. So the points feel well earned ;)

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 9:24pm
I did, but DD didn't (I put about $50 on a credit card to buy gifts for her to give her kids)
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-29-2009 - 1:47am

We did everything with cash this Christmas - no credit cards. Yay! Mainly we stuck with a spending plan, deciding how much we were going to spend on the kids, the families, etc. I had a lot of leftover Christmas cards that I used and most of the decorations we already had. I think I spent less than $50 on more decorations, mainly because I found these adorable elf dolls and I bought one boy and one girl - to represent my kids

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-29-2009 - 10:21am

This is my 10th cash only Christmas. : )

Careful planning is how I manage it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-01-2010 - 11:57am

I actually put everything I bought for Christmas on my credit card but I did not incur any debt because it was paid off in full right after the charges went onto the card!

Thankfully, I only have to buy for 4 people, my parents, brother and grandmother. I don't buy for or even see the rest of my family so no gifts for them and DH and I decided not to buy each other anything since our money is combined and it seems silly to buy each other something when the gift is both of our money anyways.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-01-2010 - 2:58pm

DH and I have all shared accounts, and our only personal money is our allowance. In fact, when I make money from my hobby (photography), it all goes into our joint account.

Photobucket

Pages