2009 Year in Review

iVillage Member
2009 Year in Review
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 2:06pm

2009 was quite a year! Everyone I know was looking at their finances at least a little bit more carefully, and some were completely thrown for a loop.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 3:18pm

Well, I have to say I'm definately glad we have a savings account we contribute to weekly. If we didn't have this, it could've been a horrible year financially! We had to fork out quite a bit of money for medical bills! We have medical insurance, but it's crappy insurance!

This year may not be much better. Now our DD16 is in Therapy/Counseling (long story short...she started running with the wrong group of kids). It's going to cost us a fortune. Insurance won't even cover anything until after we have paid $3000 out of our pocket. I'm sure we will meet that quickly!!

Well I've learned that teenage kids can cost you a fortune + some more! By the time our kids are grown, we may be completely broke!!!!!!! IF I survive that long!!!

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 5:41pm

Hi Amy. I'm glad your daughter is getting the help she needs to get back on track. That's the most important thing. And congrats on having the savings you needed when you needed it. That's what it's all about.

We never know what emergency will pop up to take our EF money, but it seems like there's always something just around the corner. I remember one of the best bits of financial advice I ever got was this: "There's something wrong with your car. You don't know it yet, but there is."

I hope 2010 finds your family happy, healthy, and going strong. Happy New Year!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-28-2009 - 6:17pm

2009 started out rocky, after a very rough 2008. But, by April 2009, we had sold our house and moved closer to my family and everything just seemed to get easy after that.

My 2009 goals were to save enough money to be a stay-at-home-mom if we had a baby. Well, the baby's due on April 2, and I'm happy to say my last day of work will be Feb 12! We've saved up a full emergency fund and are using a budget that lets us live on 80% of DH's income. This was our best budget achievement of 2009.

Another goal was to get my photography business going strong so I could do it part time when I'm home with a baby. But, I totally lost interest in it during my 1st trimester, when I was exhausted. I had great word of mouth and got some out-of-the-blue offers for large jobs, including a wedding, a charity ball, and a chance to take portraits for a local man to use in his run for Congress! But, I gave all those jobs to

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-29-2009 - 10:15am

2009 wasn't kind.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-01-2010 - 12:05pm

How was 2009 for you, in general?

2009 in general was very expensive!

One cat in the emergency vet late at night only to find out that his heart was failing and we had to have him put to sleep. We ended up spending $1600 on his vet care! Even though it was expensive we knew exactly what was wrong and there there was no hope and he did not have to suffer, so worth every penny to us.

Then two weeks later one of our other cats got his paw caught in between two dresser drawers and had to be taken to the emergency vet because he wouldn't walk on it! Thankfully he is ok now but another $450 out of the account.

Besides cats, I have had to have over $1,000 worth of work done on my car at various times and spent a weekend in the hospital with H1N1.

On the good side of all of that, none of those bills stayed on the credit card and I finished college with my BA so as soon as I get my resume done I will be off to working full time and not living on DH's income alone!

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-01-2010 - 2:10pm

2009 in general?
- Stressful. There were a lot of changes at work and staf restructuring which left things dysfunctional for a little bit. Money-wise it was horrendous.

What was your best budget achievement?
- Not repeating mistakes. If we messed up one month we usually didn't repeat it again, during the year.

Your lowest money moment?
- We had a month where we beyond blew our budget and wound up with $400 in overdraft fees.

What did you learn about budgeting?
- To add extra on to what the anticipated expense is. If we had an amount budgeted for something and hit that amount it was really easy to go out and spend a good 25% more.

Photobucket
Photobucket