Cash Cash everywhere...

iVillage Member
Cash Cash everywhere...
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 9:38pm

...and no idea how much!

Actually, it's probably about $75-80. It's a mix ofDH's birthday money, baby gift money, my spending money, loose change, and $22 that a ratings company sent me for answering their TV and radio surveys. (Side note - if you get junk mail from "Arbitron," open it!) It's spilling out of my purse, tucked in greetings cards, and piled up in a bowl on my desk.

Suze Orman says when your cash is disorganized, you probably don't have your finances in order. Well, she's right on target here! Since this baby has been born, I haven't kept my money tidy, I haven't looked at our budget, and I even briefly LOST my cable bill! (It was in my bedroom closet, of course.)

So, tomorrow, between feedings, burpings, changings, and naps, I vow to line up every dollar, smallest to largest, all eyes on one direction, and put mine in my wallet, put the baby's in his piggy bank, and give DH's to him. And I'll fill my change jar!

Then we can see about starting our May budget. But, right now, I'm gonig to pay that cable bill.

How about you? Do you keep your cash in order? Do you see a connection between the condition of your cash stash and the overall state of your finances?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 9:58pm

Thanks for reminding me to pay the cable bill!!!

My daddy taught me to keep my money in order, facing one way, big bills then little bills. Its always been that way. I have found when I'm in a hurry they just get put in a pocket of the diaper bag expecially the change. I generally fix it when I get home. But I don't see the correlation. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and sometiems I'm not, so the money may not be orginized. But the bills are always paid, and I know whats going on with my account!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-22-2010 - 10:28pm

I agree with you 100% These last few weeks I have been working overtime like crazy...I am talking 12 hours a day...and this has affected our finances in several ways.
1. I am about a week behind in my Gail jars!Ack!
2. I am making a whole lot of extra money!
3. I am too busy to shop so saving a lot that way.
4. I have to plan ahead to bring my food to eat at work and cook on the weekends. this is something I do normally anyway. I have just been even more careful with the meal plans.
5. I am using up a lot of big items that were in my freezer. Cooked a turkey last weekend, a ham the week before that etc....
6. I don't even have time to go to the bank and get cash(that's why my jars are empty) so I have just a few coins in my wallet....no money, no spending!LOL!

BF needs to have some serious dental surgery and we are still waiting to see how much the insurance will cover. At least this extra money I am making can go towards that and we won't have to dip into the emergency fund.

One more week of craziness left to go! It will all be over after April 30th.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-23-2010 - 9:43am

I use a plastic coupon accordian style folder to organize my cash.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-25-2010 - 1:45am

I definitely agree with the sentiment that when my cash isn't in order, my finances usually aren't either. But even more so than cash, when my receipts in my wallet aren't in a tidy fashion I generally have no idea what's going on. I got home from a family wedding today, and even though I haven't had to spend anything in the last two days, I felt uncomfortable not know where I was in terms of what was left for the week since I hadn't had a chance to sort my receipts from payday. Just have to reconcile a statement that was in the mail when I left on Friday and I'll be all sorted.

I don't necessarily keep my cash in order, but that probably comes more from the fact that all the bills here are different colours so its still relatively easy to find what I need quickly.

Lyn

Lyn