Wondering on Wednesday: Hobbie$

iVillage Member
Wondering on Wednesday: Hobbie$
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 11:57am

I recently saw a money tip that recommended making your own greeting cards to save money. Before I started budgeting, I got into the whole cardmaking craft craze and have plenty of supplies to make my own cards. I probably spent $200 at craft stores. In my case, it would have much cost less and taken up less room in my home to just buy all the cards I've made over the years. But, I do enjoy making cards with friends, when I find the time.

In recent years, I've focused on photography (oh, ha ha, get it?). I've made pretty good money doing portraits and event photography, but haven't recouped my investment yet. Camera gear is expensive!

Do you have a hobby that is close to your heart? Haircutting, gardening, sewing, crafting...? Please tell us all about your talents, and

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 5:25pm

I love cross-stitching. I don't really know what this does to my budget because its been a while since I've had to buy fabric and threads for this. Regardless, I enjoy seeing the progress as I work on a project and like that the complete items add colour to my home. Occasionally I do give a completed piece to a friend or family member, but mostly I stitch for myself.

I did knit a scarf for myself, and would like to knit more clothing items. However when I consider the yarn cost for the scarf I know that its not worth it.

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-28-2010 - 9:24pm

Hi Lyn. Knitting and cross-stiching seem like such relaxing hobbies. I've tried to do them, but I'm all thumbs. I've received a few hand-knit items as gifts over the years, and I absolutely treasure them because they were made with love. Plus they're cute and cozy!

My son Will received a hand-made quilt from his Granny and Aunt, and we're expecting a pretty elaborate hand-made blanket from a friend when we see her. I can tell they are not inexpensive to make and require a lot of time. But, wow - they are gifts we'll keep forever.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 8:05am

That's exactly why I give some of my finished items to people - they appreciate the time and effort that goes into something like that and care for it as a result.

As most of the cross-stitch is counted cross-stitch (that is the pattern is not printed on the fabric, I have to count the squares and use the right colours) I wouldn't necessarily say its relaxing, especially when I miscount. But I definitely like knitting because it allows me to just switch off in front of the TV - another reason that knitting larger items of clothing isn't a great idea for me. Scarves are pretty forgiving to errors - especially the pattern I have which is designed with holes.

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-29-2010 - 10:45am

LOL! I guess it just looks relaxing to people who aren't doing it!

It's like years ago when I was telling my boss about my upcoming tap dance recital and she said "oh it's fun to do something mindless sometimes."

Can you believe that? She said mindless! I thought, is she crazy? I had to remember about 100 steps a minute!

So, I stand corrected. :o)

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-01-2010 - 10:02pm

My hobbie that is close to my heart is: scrapbooking!

IMO, any true scrapbooker knows that we just buy a bunch of stuff that we are going to use "one day" and it sits in our crafting area!!! Well that is at least what happens to me. I get a two page layout done in a month now! In winters I'm better, I may get four pages done!!!

I have done this as one gift to my mother. She still hasnt' recieved it yet, due to I have ONE page to finish. It should be my wedding page, but I can't find my digital copy of my wedding photos! I told my mom to email me the picture she wants me to use, but hasn't yet. I should note this book is like 50 pages thick! ALL OF ME :-) I know she will love it, but I just need to finish that one page. LOL

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 2:09pm
I have several hobbies, sewing & beading are the main ones though. I have 2 sewing machines (quilting, embroidery and serger) so I would have to make quite a bit to have it pay for itself, I do some sewing that I get paid for but no where near enough to take it out of the hobby category.
My beadwork I do sell as well, but most of it is made for gifts. I can usually keep my bead budget in check, unless I go to a city that has a huge wholesale bead outlet then the budget is toast.
I also have tons of scrapbooking supplies that I hope to one get find time to sit down and work on.
I used to knit & crochet, but recently gave it all away to DS's girlfriend.
All my needlepoint supplies went to my SIL.

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-15-2010 - 11:04pm

I have several hobbies. Competitive pool/billiards, ballet, knitting, crocheting amigurumi(small toys and figurines) and sewing clothes for myself and also doing alterations/repairs and sewing draperies and blinds, cushions, bedskirts etc...
Only the home/decorating sewing has been lucrative. I don't do too much anymore because of my work and how busy I am with ballet etc.
Heck! I still need to make drapes for my own house and I have been living here for almost 4 years!LOL!
I recently made some beautiful silk drapes for my friend's dining room. They turned out very well and she loves them.

I like to keep busy all the time and I can knit and crochet while watching TV...it does take some of my attention so it's good if I'm watching something that I can enjoy as background entertainment.
BF thinks I'm nuts but he knows I like it.

I don't spend money unless I am doing a project so I'm pretty good that way. I do take advantage of special sales to stick up on wool that I can use for various projects and the crochet toys/animals are a good way to use up bit of leftovers form a sweater or larger project. I made some really cute Easter type eggs out of wool and they were so cute! I gave them away as gifts and my friends loved them :)

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 5:25pm

I enjoy contact staff (twirling a staff around one's body while dancing), photography, and guitar.

Miss Stepmom

Advice, tale

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 5:42am

I don't really have any hobbies anymore. When I was a stay at home mom, I used to make soaps, lotions...bath and body kind of stuff. I really enjoyed it. I did some craft shows, and made some of my money back. Then I went to work full-time and couldn't find the time, so I sold all my supplies on Ebay.

Now we enjoy going on motorcycle rides with our free time on nice weather days. DH and I both work a lot and don't have much free time anymore. I'm hoping we have a decent day soon, I'd love to float in the swimming pool soon!!!!! That's my other favorite hobby! LOL

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 2:04pm

I've been able to reel in a lot of my hobby expenses. I realized our library has a pretty incredible selection of CDs that I can listen to for free. I can check out 10 at a time, and I can keep them for a week before I have to return them. It's a fun way to listen to artists that I've never heard before or even listen to music from different countries that I hadn't heard before. :-) I enjoy reading also, and the library has helped there also. I still feel like a child on Christmas morning if I get the chance to walk into an old used bookstore, browse through the treasures and purchase a few, but the library is friendlier on my budget. :-)

I guess the only expensive hobby I have his sport/target shooting. Our local police department charges just $5.00 for two hours of shooting, and I can print targets off the internet for free. Ammunition can be expensive, but I purchase it online in bulk, so that keeps the cost down also. It's much cheaper than any gun shop or gun show. Besides, I love the expression on my UPS delivery guy's face as he carries the very heavy (but small) box to my door and says, "What did you BUY? It weighs a TON!" LOL! He's such a nice person. :-D

Pat :-D