Weather/Emergency Planning

iVillage Member
Weather/Emergency Planning
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 9:53pm

I hope all of our Budgeting regulars and lurkers are safe and sound, high and dry.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 4:46am
I don't keep a stock of supplies for emergencies, but I should since I'm in an earthquake prone area. My main concern would be remembering to update the contents on a regular basis.
I haven't thought about finding room for it in my budget. However, I would add the supplies to the emergencies to the relevant budget categories - primarily food.
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 6:16pm
We're fine here in Ohio! We don't really have much happen around here weather wise. I always keep canned foods around and other non parishable foods. I also try to keep some cash in the safe. You just never know what might happen when you need cash.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 8:43pm
I live in West Central Florida so hurricane season will soon be upon us.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 9:42pm
Okay, I'm getting ready to move (again) to Mississippi. We will be an hour from the coast, and I'm not sure if and or what we need for weather wise. Should we have a "hurricane kit?" Do I need a tornado kit? I'm only used to blizzards and winter weather, so this is gonna get interesting!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 5:42pm
Vanessa, I don't live in the US, but used Google. From the looks of things it would be a good idea to have both a tornado and a hurricane kit. I also noticed that some areas of Mississippi are prone to flood.
We don't get hurricanes (or cyclones as we call them) in the part of NZ that I'm in, although I know other parts of the country have been hit, so I don't really know how far inland a hurricane can come.
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 7:44pm

Thanks for the info, I never thought of googling it!!!

UGH!!! I know they have been getting hit by storms lately, and I've told DH multiple times I'm just moving to my parents for a year!!!

I guess once we get down there we will be going to get our kits together. Off to Sams Club we go!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 10:53am

We're definitely gearing up for Hurricane Season. For the first two seasons we lived here, we did the canned goods/Chef-boy-ardee/spaghettios stashing. That was great, and I got some wonderful deals and sales on those foods, but in November, when there had been no storms or loss of power, we had a ton of canned pasta to eat. Most of it ended up going to charity. This year, we bought some huge cans (#10 industrial size) of freeze dried foods. We sampled the little pouch-versions first (1 or 2 servings), and chose our favorites. Then we ordered the larger cans of those. So we have big cans of lasanga, beef stronganoff, chicken and rice, sweet and sour pork, etc. Just scoop out what we want to eat, add boiling water, let sit, and eat. Best part is that, unopened, these cans can last for 25 years! So if we don't have a big storm this year, our cans can just be saved for future years. Budget friendly and delicious. :) I think these foods are acutally made for campers and hikers, but they work well for emergency food storage also. I just keep them on a shelf in my laundry room so they're out of sight and not in the way. A bit high in sodium, but that's ok.

We bought a window A/C unit on sale when we thought Hurricane Ike was initially aiming right for us. We can't use it constantly (too much gas usage in the generator), but it'll help a bit. We bought a generator also when we first moved in, but we haven't had a reason to try it out. So it's never even had a bit of gas put in it. Hope it works when we need it. We have plenty of tarps for the roof, a large tent if we need it, flashlights, batteries, candles, etc.

I definitely need to stock up on water and gas, though. I should probably start watching the gas prices at local stations since I expect prices will get high soon. And water sales also. Stores are always running those.

I think, other than that, we're all set for this year's storm season. Hmmm....although I do wonder if I should be watching prices for a chain saw. We've never needed one before, but I'm thinking that if our palm trees get knocked down, or a neighbor's tree is uprooted or snapped, we might need one to help clear the debris. I should talk to my hubby about that. I hate to spend the money, but on the other hand, I'm thinking it will be hard to find a chain saw after a storm passes through. We're just a few minutes drive off the Southeast Coast, so we definitely need to be prepared. It's really a toss-up this year as to whether the season will be active or not. All depends on good old El Nino, and whether it hangs around a bit longer or diminishes over the next month or two.

Pat

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 9:07am

Wow, I thought we were prepared for hurricane season! My strategy has always been to get the heck out of Dodge when we see one coming, so our supplies are minimal. Mostly cash, full gas tanks, water, and a few tarps. These things get very hard or expensive to get, espescially after a bad storm.

We've never been hit head on, but we've gotten whipped by the outer bands of some storms and lost power for days on end. I'd love to have a generator, especially now that we have a newborn in the house.

Photobucket