POP Spending (or PO'd Purchases)

iVillage Member
POP Spending (or PO'd Purchases)
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 3:32pm

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 4:14pm

I'll fess up. I've made plenty of dumb purchases over the years, but only once came close to making a PO'd purchase. And it was just recently.

I was pregnant with super swollen ankles and I couldn't even reach my toes. I needed a pedicure and some TLC for my feet, but couldn't stand the thought of someone touching them (too ticklish!). So, for my birthday, I asked DH for a home foot spa.

The dear man went online and bought one for me for $65. Unfortunately, he bought a dud. It wasn't deep enough, water splashed out, it didn't stay heated, and all the cheap plastic attachments kept falling into the water with my aching feet.

I tried to return it, but the online store wouldn't take it back. So, not only could I not get the pedicure I had been looking forward to and wanted sooooo much, but now we're stuck with a $65 piece of junk.

I was so mad that

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-08-2010 - 6:24pm
I've made dumb purchases myself. Although I haven't made purchases in retaliation, there are a few places that I get PO'd at myself if I do spend money there since usually its blowing my budget or killing my meal plan.
Recent examples are McDonalds, KFC and Starbucks - I have food at home, I just forget to take it to work with me and buy food there (KFC) or in the case of Starbucks it seems to be habit to buy a drink everytime I walk past certain stores of theirs. McDonalds stems from sheer laziness and not wanting to cook on my part.
The other recent example is just yesterday I went into Lush and spent $58.40 on some of their products. I did spend that money on products that I like, but I don't really need them at the moment. To make that worse, I'm supposed to be on a self-imposed no buy from Lush until I get through my stash.
I think the reason that I get PO'd at myself for these types of purchases is because I know they are making it harder to not blow the budget.
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 10:36am

I've done some POP spending over the years, but nothing too expensive. Certainly not Saks Fifth Avenue or anything like that. LOL!

There have been times when I've worked all day homeschooling, taking care of the yard work, the house work, doing some errand running, driving "Mom's Taxi", only to have my hubby call to tell me that he and his co-workers were leaving work early to go have a few drinks, and then they were going to go to ride indoor go-karts or something fun, and there I am, holding the phone, covered in sweat and grass stains, echos of "Mom! Hey Mom!! Mooooom!!!" in the background, piles of books on the table waiting for me to organize school lessons, clothes in a pile waiting to be folded, and the dog barking to be let out, and it was enough to make me batty. So I'd go online and order dinner from Dominos or download some new mp3s to listen to while I did the rest of my work, sometimes go to walmart.com to look through their sale/clearance clothes and buy something pretty and new, etc . So nothing too expensive, but my mindset was always, "Well, if HE gets to have some fun, then I should be able to have some fun (or have a break) too!" So I guess that falls under POP spending. :)

Pat

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 2:13pm

LOL! I can understand that! That fits the definition, alright.

Maybe if you budget for his occasional happy hours, you can go ahead and make a POP category for you. :o)

Photobucket