Are you a good negotiator?

iVillage Member
Are you a good negotiator?
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 12:00pm

Do you or your spouse negotiate prices whether it be for items purchased or credit card rates?
DH got Lowe's to mark down a switch plate cover once when it had a teeny tiny scratch on it. Guy took 20% off. Not bad for a scratch I can't even see.
Read more on how to improve your negotiating skills.

How to Drive a Hard Bargain

We’ve all negotiated at some point in our lives, whether for a house, a car or a raise. But haggle over the price of a purse or pair of jeans? A recent Consumer Reports survey found that an increasing number of Americans are doing just that, with 66 percent of respondents saying that since the economy soured they have bargained for a better deal on everything from clothing to furniture to cell-phone bills—usually with success!

“Ever since the economy went bad, people are negotiating for things they never negotiated for in the past,” says Deborah M. Kolb, Ph.D., a professor at Boston’s Simmons School of Management and author of Everyday Negotiation. “In our culture, people didn’t negotiate at department stores—until now.” Here’s how to talk down the price of just about anything.

More......
http://home.ivillage.com/slideshow/home_garden/how_to_drive_a_hard_bargain/?ice=iv:mb:msg:ab

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 1:41pm
I will negotiate on a lot of things that I buy. If I'm in a store and the item I want is a floor model I always ask for a discount. If I'm buying clothes, I always examine them carefully for stains(usually makeup) and tears from previous people who have tried them on. Most times it's an easy fix for me and I usually get at least 15% off. I call my cable, phone and cell phone providers every couple of months to see if they have a better deal for me. I also call them if I get an offer in the mail from one of their competitors to see if they will match or better the offer.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 2:04pm

Thanks for the article. I worked in retail during college, so I usually know when I can get a discount. But, I have to say,

Photobucket