June Goals

iVillage Member
June Goals
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 6:58pm
Having your goals written down can make a difference to achieving them. I've heard it said that a goal not written down is just a dream.
So what are everyone's goals that they want to achieve during the month of June?
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
In reply to: spannergal
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 8:50pm

In budgeting, I'd love to finish saving for my dog's allergy testing and shot-creation fees that will probably be neccessary sometime in mid July.

In life, I'd love to keep losing weight and get down into the 250's again. I was there a few months ago, and then I stopped trying and the weight crept up again. So if I can see anything in the 250's on my scale by the end of June, I'll be so thrilled. :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 11:32pm

This is our first month back to a real written budget since our baby was born two months ago. We had to deal with new parenthood and some serious health issues for me, but were prepared for surprises and our routines stayed intact on autopilot. Our spending habits are budget-minded and second nature

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 11:33pm

Okay, figured out the details of my goals. Lots of small ones. Some of them aren't really budgeting goals and more goals that if achieved will help me financial situation.
* Inventory all belongings in my home by 30 June 2010. This will allow me to get a more accurate idea of what my contents insurance cover should be, and will allow me to make a list of the stuff I want/need for my home.
* Bring my finance folder up to date by 20 June 2010. I've been a bit slack about printing out the statements for my accounts that I get electronically and also for my bills (pretty much all of them are received by email). I've given myself a week more than I will likely need, as I might try to catch up with a friend who has been overseas, this weekend.
* Meal plan every week and STICK TO IT!
* Try at least 2 new recipes during June.
* Make a contribution of at least $20 to my savings account for June. I already added $5 to my savings on 3 June :)
* Put my credit card in the freezer - I've been using it when I didn't really need to recently, just because it was in my wallet.
* Email my lecturers for next semester to find out what the required reading is for the courses so that I can slot that expense into my July budget.

I'm supposed to be on a no-buy from a couple of places that I buy items that are primarily wants. The no-buy isn't going so well - as in I'm still going into one of the stores once a week. While I'm buying less than I did before thee no-buy, the purpose of it for this store was so that I could reduce my stash, so buying more is not good. As a result I've set a related goal.
Make a list of which items are wants and which items are needs of my regular purchases by 12 June 2010. Use this list to decide which wants to cut back on & by how much; and which wants to eliminate.

Personally, I would love to be losing at least 10kg, which will at least put me at the top of my healthy weight range. While I am losing a little at the moment, I think that my priority needs to be getting my pain under control enough to start exercising, as for me there is only so much that watching what I eat will do.

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 1:10am
Its great that you recognize that you may take a few months to get the baby-inclusive budget right. There seems to be so many people still out there who throw in the towel after one month because the new budget wasn't right. Or even worse, those who declare that budgeting doesn't work because they haven't taken the time to make sure their budget is right for them.
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 8:01am

Great Post!!

My biggest budgeting flaw is eating out!! It's so difficult for us!! By the time I get come at 6:30-7:00 the last thing I want to do is cook. I'd rather just jump in the car and grab a salad and baked wings at the pizza place down the road. The kids are home for summer break, trash the house all day long! When I walk in the house, I get P*ssed and just want to turn around and walk back out! Ugh!

Savings - I've been adding weekly, so it's growing.

Trip to Cedar Point or Kings Island - I already have the money saved up for this. I'm not sure which place we are going to go to. We like Cedar Point more, but have to stay overnight since it's a 3 hour drive each way. Kings Island is only 1 1/2 hour drive each way, so we can do that without staying overnight.

Our 18th Anniversary is in August - We are taking a couple night away, leaving the kids with my parents. So far we are planning on going to the Riverboat to gamble a bit (something we've never done). We both want to get away and do something we've never done before. I already have money put back for this trip!

Personally - I signed up for a weight loss challenge with a bunch of family and friends. So far I've lost 6 lbs. I only 15 more to go to be in my healthy zone.

Exercise - I've been jogging .5 miles every other day. I hope to be jogging 1 mile by the end of summer. I always feel so much better after I do my morning jog up the road and back!

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 5:14pm

Amy, (sorry if I spelled that wrong) I can't remember how old your kids are, but would they be capable of cooking dinner and having it ready when you come home?

I definitely understand not wanting to cook after work. I work in fast food so the last thing I feel like doing after work is cooking.

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 7:12pm

Hey Amy,

Congrats on 18 years! It sounds like you a fun summer planned. I went to Cedar Point as a kid and it was one of the best parks I've ever been to.

To Lyn's point, maybe you could prep dinners together ahead of time, then whoever gets home first can just heat it up for the family.

When I was a teen, I made a lot of Betty Crocker potatoes and chicken nuggets for my family, but they appreciated it. I knew it really took a load off my mom's shoulders, which made me feel good.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 6:46am

Oh yeah, both my kids "could" help out in some way (they are 14 and 17). That's a whole issue there! LAZY!! When I'm home, they do stuff around the house...cuz I make them!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 6:54am

Thanks Colleen!! We had a couple rocky years when the kids were tiny. It's great between us now that the kids are older. We can actually spend time together!!

I might try to prepare a couple meals and freeze them. I need to do something to make it easier on me. These hours are crazy! Yesterday and today was my 1st 2 days off in a row for over a month. It's hard to catch up on things when days off are always split up!!

Cedar Point - my favorite place ever!!!! We all love roller coasters!! They have some huge coasters now!! Hate the lines, but love the rides. LOL