Three for Thursday: Yard Sales

iVillage Member
Three for Thursday: Yard Sales
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 9:01am

Happy Thursday!

Amy (Heyaim) mentioned she's having a yard sale and inspired this post. Let's talk yard sales!

Even if you haven't had

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 10:42am

I just want to get rid of stuff.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 10:53am

I'm definately more focused on getting rid of stuff!!!!! I price everything to sell. Whatever does not sell goes straight to goodwill. I want nothing back in my house!!!

Usually, we use yard sale money for something family

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 12:28pm

Same goes for me. Get rid of the stuff and whatever doesn't sell, drive it off to Goodwill.

I've used the money for cash expenses. It is never much.

The real payoff for me was being able to downsize to smaller apartments to get out of debt. After I got married, it meant being able to get rid of stuff so we wouldn't need to rent a storage unit forever.

I can't wait to have our first yard sale with baby stuff in it. Cha-ching!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 8:53pm

I usually just donate my items to Goodwill, so if I had a yard sale, I'd do it just to get rid of stuff. :-) In fact, if someone came to my sale and showed interest in an item but didn't have a way to buy it, I'd probably just give it to them. I'd just be happy it was finding another home where it would be used, needed, and wanted.

I think I'd use any money made at the sale to go towards whatever we were saving for at the moment. In this case, it would be the possible allergy blood testing that my dog might need, as well as the shots that he'd need afterward. The vet told us it would be around $400 total "if" he needed it. We're doing a special food allergy diet with him right now, since it's the cheapest thing to test.

Anything that didn't sell would be taken to Goodwill.

Pat

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 5:58am
I've never done a yard sale, but if I was to do one my main priority would be on getting rid of the stuff. I would decide what to do with the money once I knew how much I had made from what I had sold - no point making plans until I know how much I'm working with. However, in my current situation I would ideally want to put the money towards my debt reduction.
If anything didn't sell, then I would donate it to my local Salvation Army Family Store. If I've made the decision to put the item in a yard sale, I've already made the decision to part with that item, so I have no reason to keep any unsold item.
Lyn

Lyn