Drive in Snow? Help me choose a car!

iVillage Member
Drive in Snow? Help me choose a car!
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 9:06am

DH and I have been car shopping and finally found a really good 2009 Ford Flex with hardly any miles on it at a low price. It's a Limited edition, too. I would love to have it.

BUT, we're moving to Norfolk VA in August and that means I'll have to drive in snow for the first time ever. So, here's my question:

How important is it to have All Wheel Drive if you have to drive in snow?

The car we found doesn't have AWD. But, I don't know if that's a dealbreaker. Help me decide!

Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 10:33am

AWD does excellent in the snow, pretty much same as 4 wheel drive!! Traction control is great too!! The down side (for me anyway) was that you are in AWD all the time, so it's a gas guzler! You might want to consider a SUV/Cross over with 4 wheel...if you're worried about how much you spend in gas.

I'm in Ohio... we had one heck of a snowy winter. I have a 2008 Honda Civic, it does great in the snow. I drive back roads 90% of the time. I've also been driving in the snow for years.

The best car I've ever had in the snow was my old 94 GMC Jimmy with 4 wheel drive. I never slid in that car!!

I've also had a 2005 Ford Freestyle front wheel drive. Was the worse car ever in the snow! Not to mention the 3 years I had it, I had to replace the brakes and

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 10:39am

We live in New Hampshire so we see lots of snow here.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 12:29pm
Thanks! I'm going to share this with DH.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 9:11pm

I'm in Ontario Canada and we get a fair amount of snow and ice here. I have had FWD (Ford Bronco)and regular cars too. For me I prefer the regular vehicle but get really good snow tires and have them put on in late October and don't take them off until April.
I also drive a standard 5 speed...Dodge Caliber.. which I feel gives me more control.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 9:15pm

Just wanted to add.....
Driving in snow is no big deal unless it's major storm and you can't see anything and/or the snow is too deep.
You have to get used to it....don't accelerate too fast and give yourself more time to stop. Leave more room between you and the car in front.
If you're nervous, go out and practice in a parking lot a bit before you have to drive a long way.
Most towns nowadays are good with snow removal unless you are in a very rural area.

Let us now what you get!

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 9:35pm
I live in New Hampshire and we get a fair amount of snow, I dont think AWD is necessary, its nice but not an absolute. However if it makes you more comfortable to have it, might be worth it. If not then definitely get snow tires.
June 2010 Siggy Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

wedding websites

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-10-2010 - 11:04pm

Thanks everybody! I'm so glad I asked. You are giving me advice I couldn't get from most people I know in Florida!

BTW, the 2009 Limited got sold out from under us. But, we've found even better deals today.

Dave called a bunch of dealers last night, then had the nerve to forget his phone this morning. Hmph. So, I fielded their calls all day.

Turns out there are lots of pre-owned 2009 and 2010 Ford Flex's to be found out there, if you don't need AWD.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 11:51am

Living in Western New York (Buffalo/Niagara Falls) we see our fair share of snow! Honestly I myself have never had 4WD but on our newer vehicles I have gotten Traction control and ABS brakes and now I would never get a car w/o them! I have a VW Jetta wagon and a Hyundai Elentra - both have Traction control and I find that most helpful.

Get good snow or All-weather tires. Make sure your tire pressure is correct for the winter. Drive slower and don't make sudden moves- ie turn fast or turn out in fronto of other traffic- leave extra space between you & the car ahead to allow for extra braking time if needed.

Kathy
Kathy