We beat the house on a new car!

iVillage Member
We beat the house on a new car!
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 11:15pm

We finally bought a new car tonight!

We had our hearts set on a Ford Flex. We drove an hour to test drive a few more used ones, but when we drove them, we both thought the seats were horrible. I wasn't sure if it was the particular cars we were driving or if

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-11-2010 - 11:29pm

Oh I looked at the Flex, cause I needed the extra space for our doggies when Carolynn came around. But at that time they had new Tarux X's out (the crossover) and they were only two inches shorter. I wish we paid cash for it, but we are on the path to have it paid off in another 2 years :-)

Congrats on the new car!!!

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-12-2010 - 3:55am
Thats great news. I love that even though it was a bit over your used car budget, you still had the cash to buy this new car. I'm sure you'll love it.
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-12-2010 - 6:51am

Thanks! Paying off cars early is the way to go if you can't buy them outright. Just rush it as fast as you can.

I did that for my Isuzu in 2001. Even though I had 0% financing, I didn't like the risk of a late payment or a botched online payment messing up the deal.

And, I was single, so if I lost my job, I'd have a car payment looming every month. I felt more secure with a paid off car. They drive better too, IMO. :o)

I just realized, I've never had a four-door car. That's why we're buying a new one, actually, to get the baby in and out of his car seat easily, and so he'll be in a safer car.

In the mean time, DH has been driving my Isuzu and I've had his Chevy Avalanche. It's HUGE! I'm so ready to give him back his truck!

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-12-2010 - 7:17am

Thanks Lyn! We actually had enough in savings to buy a new one with cash, because we've seen this purchase coming for a long time. We've lived below our means and saved very aggressively ever since we got married.

When Dave got picked up for active duty military, we suddenly had super job security for him. So, we felt like we had more than we really needed in our emergency fund.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-12-2010 - 9:48pm

Awesome deal!!! You guys did great!
I love hearing stories like that :)

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-12-2010 - 10:02pm

WooHoo!!! The Edge looks like a great vehicle, and you can't beat the deal you got on it! So amazing, and inspiring also for those of us who will need a new vehicle in the future. :-)

Congrats!

Pat :-)