Health Insurance?

iVillage Member
Health Insurance?
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 12:52am

How do you know when you're kicked off your parents' health insurance, when you're not currently in college?

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 8:13am

Hi and welcome!

Your parents should know or will receive some notification. Also, check your insurance card for an expiration date and see if you receive a replacement card. You can always contact the insurance company, too.

Here's a tip. If you still have coverage, use the time before it lapses to line up your next coverage. That might mean changing jobs. Some employers don't offer benefits on your first day, but kick them in after a certain amount of time.

For example, when I was about to lose coverage, I knew I wasn't likely to get a job with insurance because I was young with no skills or experience in any field, really. But, prior to the expiration, I got a job at Target, where I could get health insurance after being employed for six months. That worked out great and I had no lapse in coverage. I could have made more money as a full-time waitress, for example, but the benefits were the real draw for me until I could enter into a career of my choice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 11:46am
Your Parent will get a notice and you should received a notice too - most Health Co''s offer COBRA when you are without if you want to p/u and pay. I know this because my 24 yr old son just came off my health Insurance
Kathy