Two for Tuesday: Company's Coming

iVillage Member
Two for Tuesday: Company's Coming
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 11:10am

I'm about to leave for the airport to pick up my sister and her kids, who are visiting for 2 weeks from PA.

They are staying at my mom's, but the kids will probably spend more than a few days in my pool. So, I had to budget for extra groceries for a cookout and kid snacks. I've also saved my allowance to treat the kids to ice cream and laser tag.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 2:35am

Sounds like you're used to the changes that need to occur to the budget when your sister and her family are in town.

No houseguests that I'm aware of this winter. I don't really have the space, but my SIL and nephew may come to stay for a day or two later this winter.

It depends on who's visiting but I would usually budget for feeding whoever coming, but entertainment is a case by case basis.

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 7:20am

I don't have company coming to stay. But we do have a lot of parties during the summer. I always put extra money back for when people come over. We always do pot luck style meals, but it still ends up costing me more than usual.

Our most expensive party is our July 4th party! We buy tons of fireworks (DH uses his money from scraping metal). Then I buy a couple packs of hotdogs and marshmallows. Everyone brings their own alcohol. Everyone also brings extra hotdogs, chips, whatever munchies they want. This is our favorite party we throw each year! Tons of people end up here...there's usually people I don't even know. LOL

Buy yeah, I put back a little money all year round for our summer entertainment! :)

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 8:07am

Hi Lyn. My sister brings her kids to FL for 2 weeks every summer, and we do a lot of the same things every time. So, yeah, I know the drill! haha.

We are still trying to figure out visits from my MIL, though. She's on a Gluten free diet, so my grocery list is a challenge when she visits. Last time I just asked her to tell me what she wanted. Also, we had to buy a little cot for her, because she can't sleep on our couch. She sleeps in DH's office, so I make a point to buy a bouquet of flowers for the office so she'll feel welcome, even though it's a bit rough. It adds up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 8:08am
Your party sounds like so much fun! Pot luck is a great way to go.

Photobucket

Photobucket