How Does Your Garden Grow?

iVillage Member
How Does Your Garden Grow?
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 10:36pm

Hey all,

If you have a garden growing this summer, how is it going? Are you growing anything you can eat? Anything made it to the table yet?

Or, if you have an herb garden for your kitchen, do you have any tips to start one?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 2:50am
I don't have a garden of any kind. I don't have a yard so having a garden in a yard isn't an option.
I would love to grow herbs (even if its only the ones I use regularly) in my kitchen, however I have a tendency to kill plants. Its not intentional, I just forget to water them or drown them, so I'm look forward to the advice of others.
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 5:30am
Yep, we "try" to grow a garden every summer. The last several years we didn't get much fruits and veggies...flash flood destroyed most of it! So this year we only planted tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers and watermelon. Hopefully it will make it thru the summer without a huge storm to destroy it again!

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 8:38am
Lyn - Same here! I would love to grow herbs, but have no idea where to start. They are so expensive in the stores!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 8:41am

Hey Amy! That sounds good.

Keep us posted! I'd love to see some pictures of your garden or the finished product!

We're moving to Norfolk, VA in August. I'm hoping we'll have some decent soil in the back yard to grow some veggies next summer. All the ground here is so sandy.

Good luck.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 10:58am

Our garden is about spent. We managed 14 quarts of beans and a lot of cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. The bigger tomatoes flopped this year. We haven't managed a good crop in about three years now despite moving the garden and fertilizing well.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 3:49pm
Those beans look great! Thanks for the picture.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-26-2010 - 10:05am

I do have a vegetable garden. It's about 18' x 12'. I only grow tomatoes)3 or 4 different varieties,)eggplant and herbs such as basil, thyme, oregano and chives. I tried parsley last year but it went wild so I didn't plant any this year.
My sister plants cucumbers and beans and peppers so we do a trade once stuff is ready to harvest. Because of the weather here(one extreme to another) we can't plant until after May 24th...because we can still have frost before this time and most things are ready my mid August to mid September after that it gets cold again.
I may try growing some potatoes and maybe leeks or onions and garlic at some point. I'd love to expand my garden but maybe not for a year or two.
This year I got some red plastic mulch for my tomatoes. It's a thick layer of red plastic that you place over the soil and just cut a hole for the plants to grow through. The red colour intensifies the sun and helps the tomatoes grow faster. It also retains the heat and moisture in the soil and prevents weed growth.
So far so good...I would say that my tomatoes are about 1/3 larger than normal at this point.
You can get some great potted herbs at garden centres they usually have them grouped together in one pot as a theme. French, Italian, Greek, etc...
We have very hard clay soil here so I had to really prep the soil by breaking it up and adding a lot of compost and black garden soil. I do raised beds (just nice big high rows) so the roots can really spread out. If you have crappy soil you can also build a wooden rectangle anchor that into the ground and dump some good black garden soil in there.

I really enjoy growing vegetables. It doesn't take a lot of work or time once you get them planted. I have a soaker-hose watering system on a timer so that they can be watered regularly without me having to worry about it or wasting water.

Nathalie