Two for Tuesday: Hard-working Kids

iVillage Member
Two for Tuesday: Hard-working Kids
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 9:46am

Last year, my BIL complained he needed help in his yard and couldn't find a kid to hire. He remembered when we were kids all the neighborhood kids were for hire! This year, I have a nephew, a neighbor, and a bunch of kids at church who are eager for summer jobs.

Do you hire kids to do odd jobs for you, and if so, what?

Did you work as a kid before you were old enough to get a "real" job?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 9:48pm

To be honest, there aren't a lot of kids in our neighborhood, and the senior citizens who live here are very suspicious of any teenagers or kids who come in, so we don't get children coming to offer to do yard work. One time a teenage boy was going door-to-door to sell magazines, and after knocking on several neighbor's doors (which they didn't open), one or more of my neighbors called the police to complain, and by the time the boy knocked on my door, and I opened it, there was a police car in the street, motioning the boy to come to his car. I called out, "Is everything ok?", and the officer asked me to step back inside my home while he questioned the young boy. And this was all because of magazines. Goodness me. Another time, they called the police on some older teens who were going door-to-door to talk to people about the AT&T U-Verse services. It's a nice quiet neighborhood, but I seem to have paranoid neighbors. lol :-)

Still, if a kid ever did come to my door looking for work, I'd gladly find something they could do. :-)

Pat :-)

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-29-2010 - 10:56pm

Oh my gosh, about the magazine sales. I don't know if this is the case with your incident, but usually, that's

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 1:59pm

Wow, I had no idea that these kids were bussed in sometimes to sell magazines, and I'm so sorry your friend was left behind in Texas. I can't even imagine how scary that must have been. Maybe that's why my neighbors called. I still felt kind of bad for the boy, though. He must have been so scared to see that police car at the curb with lights flashing. I'm sure there was probably a better way to handle the situation. :-) Our old house was in a very rural area, so it was rare to get people at our door selling things.

I did have a bad seller experience back then--two college girls who came to sell a homeschool curriculum. They said they were from some college in Texas, and they were earning money by traveling and selling these books. Well, I wondered, at first, how they even knew that we homeschooled, and then when I told her we already had a curriculum that we liked, she said, "Well, I'm sure now that your son just turned 8 last month, you'll be wanting him to learn about....." and she started showing me more books, and I thought to myself. Um...how do you know I have a son....and what his age is (even his birthday was on the list in her notebook)....grade is....and our home address....?? So I asked her where she got her information, and she said we were on a "list", and that's all she'd tell me. I asked who else she was visiting in the neighborhood, and she gave me the names, addresses, children's names, ages, etc, of other homeschoolers in the neighborhood. I was surprised. Well, she left my home and started walking to the next homeschooling family on her list, and I called the police and asked them to please check this out....something just wasn't right about that. Turns out that our local school system had supplied this sales company with all of our private information for a sales deal they'd worked out. Wow, they had a LOT of explaining...and apologizing...to do after that. I certainly didn't want my son's information just tossed around like that.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 6:43pm
Wow. That would upset me, for sure. It's one thing for them to sell your e-mail address. It's another thing for people to show up at your house with personal information about your children! That's incredible!

Photobucket