Unplanned Purchases: 4 Questions

iVillage Member
Unplanned Purchases: 4 Questions
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 7:14am

What would you do if you stumble upon an unadvertised sale or clearance item, or something you just really, really want, but it isn't in your budget? It's okay to make an unplanned purchase, as long as it doesn't prevent you from meeting your other financial obligations or goals.

The next time you find yourself about to make an unplanned purchase, ask yourself these questions to help you decide on whether or not to buy:

Why am I here?

How do I feel? (Do I want to buy it for some emotional reason or is this a legitimate purchase?)

Do I need this? (Where will I put it, do I already have one, can I use it?)

How will I pay for it? (Can you buy it and still pay for upcoming planned expenses?)

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 9:56am

I need to ask myself those questions a lot.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 2:14pm

I have to ask myself those questions sometimes. Thankfully, if I'm tempted to buy something unplanned, it's not usually in an expensive store. I don't usually go into those stores because I know they're out of my budget. ;-)

But my biggest unplanned purchase areas are the grocery store and the dollar store. I'm still wrestling with the grocery store, although I'm taking steps to get that under control. The dollar store just has so many cute things, and my mind keeps thinking, "Hey, it's only a dollar!" and I start to put items in my cart. lol But I'm having to stop myself and really think...."Do I need this?? Where will I put it??" :-) All those little $1 items start to add up after awhile, and then it's not such a cheap shopping trip. :-)

Pat

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 5:11pm

Window shopping gets me, too. I try to avoid it, but every once in a while, when I have to meet somebody somewhere and they're late, or I just have time to kill...oh boy.

When we bought our desk last year, I had to wait at the shopping center for Dave to come back and pick it up with the truck. I ended up killing time in a Crabtree & Evelyn store and buying the prettiest bracelet I've ever had! I don't remember if it came out of my allowance or not, but it was something I normally wouldn't buy.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 7:00pm

I'm definitely an emotional spender, but I am working on this, so in time I'm hoping I can put a spanner in the works when I know that emotion is influencing a purchase.

I have my bills go out either on pay day (Thursday) or the day after (Friday). In addition to that, I do my budget for the week when I receive my payslip on Tuesday, so even if my unplanned spending occurs on a Thursday, I already know what room for movement I have in the budget.

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 8:12am
We just made an unplanned purchase! It usually isn't much of an issue with us. We bought a used motorhome over the weekend. We had the money for it, so that wasn't a problem...it just wasn't on our "need" list. In the end I think it'll be worth every penny. We love getting out/going places/doing things! This way we can do that and only spend $30-$35/night + fuel instead of the normal $150-$200 night hotel or cabin

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 8:17am

I just don't make unplanned purchases for a wanted item ever.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 2:01pm

"Where will I put it" has saved me many times! I guess that's the trick - if you want to spend less, move into a smaller house with nowhere to put anything. Haha. Worked for me!

Even now, although we're in a bigger house, I still think long and hard about how I will use something and where I will store it before I buy it. It became

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 2:05pm
Having a plan makes all the difference! If you take care of your obligations first, you can enjoy any discretionary spending without buyer's remorse.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 2:06pm
Oh, that sounds like fun! Enjoy it!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 2:09pm
You are my hero! Haha. DH and I strive to follow our budget like that and we were doing well up until we had the baby and didn't do a budget for two months. Then, with me getting sick and being in the hospital, we lost track for a while there. We are fine, but we need to get back to the discipline we had before.

Photobucket

Pages