Wondering on Wednesday: July Events

iVillage Member
Wondering on Wednesday: July Events
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 8:59am
It's time to start thinking about your July budget, if you haven't yet. In addition to your regular expenses, do you have any special events to include in your budget this month? Any birthdays, anniversaries, travel, or special events that require funding?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 9:39am

We have a bunch of special events in July.

My nephew's 15th birthday is coming up, but I bought him a gift last week.

We have some travel plans. We're going to visit family in Georgia

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 9:51am

Thankfully there is no special budgeting issues this month :) Just throwing extra money at the credit cards while I live with the folks.

I need to start saving for August and September, those are the months where we start getting events.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 2:10pm

This is a GREAT question, and I love it even more because this morning, I was actually sitting in the waiting room of my local mechanic, writing out my budget and making adjustments. An elderly gentleman looked over and said, "Looks like you've got a lot of work there...", and I said, "Oh, it's not so bad. I'm just using this time to plan out my household budget between now and next January." He laughed and said, "People your age actually make out budgets??" LOL

July, thankfully, is going to be a very calm month for us. We have my parents visiting from out-of-state at the every end of the month, but a visit from them is a joy. They are very frugal folks, and they just enjoy relaxing with family. So no fancy dinners out or expensive theme parks or anything like that. I told them we could swim each day in our pool, and I'd cook some nice meals on our grill (they don't have a grill at home, so this is a treat they're looking forward to bigtime!), and they have asked if we could all play some board games together, maybe watch a DVD move with some popcorn together, and the only shopping they want to do is a trip to my local Goodwill to see what type of "treasures" they can find, and that's it. So, it's definitely not a budget-buster. :-D

Pat

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 6:20pm
Well, I thought I had everything included for July since I'm back to classes on 13 July and have already included the cost of the textbooks in my budget.
However, I still have trouble remembering the birthdays of my nephew and cousins. A glance at my calendar reminded me that my nephew's birthday is July 8, so I'll pick up a small card and post it off today (NZ Post hasn't been sticking to their postage targets so I feel more comfortable sending it today)
Otherwise all my July costs are routine.
Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-30-2010 - 7:29pm

Nothing too crazy. It's a busy time for us at work so I don;t have vacation until mid August. BF may be working from home for a few weeks because he has to have some special physiotherapy sessions and do home exercises that will bring on vertigo. It's not really possible for him to go to work when he feels dizzy like this and he has to do the exercises 5 times a day. At least work is very accommodating and this way he won't have to use all his sick and vacation time.
No birthdays or anything coming up until September.
I have already prepaid for all my ballet classes until the end of July so all good there. While BF is working at home I will ride my bike to work every day. This will save on gas and be a nice way for my friend and I to decompress after a long day.
We may have a friend over for one of our Friday burger nights but that's not really any added expense since I already have the food here and she will bring some beer.
I'll be teaching my bike buddy how to knit sometime inn July too. We'll start her off with something simple like a dishcloth so she will have us over for dinner that night no big expense there except maybe a bottle of wine as a hostess gift and I have some stashed away for that.

I think July will be a good month for saving some money!

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 8:30am

My nephew is getting married next weekend.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 12:37pm

It's great that you can put extra money to pay down debt!

Isn't it strange how birthdays seem to mostly fall at the same time for some families? Of the 15 of us in my and my sisters' families, 7 have birthdays from March

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:51pm
That sounds really nice. Some of my best times with my parents were spent playing games, eating popcorn, listening to music on the radio, and talking. Enjoy them!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:52pm
I don't know how it is in NZ, but in the US, college textbooks are outrageously expensive. Good luck in your new classes!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 1:53pm
Sounds like you have a fun July in the works. I wish I could knit. I've tried, but I'm a mess! Post a picture of your work some time! I'd love to see what you made.

Photobucket

Pages