Friday Free for All - July 2

iVillage Member
Friday Free for All - July 2
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 7:17am

Happy Friday! Do you have any Budgeting vents or victories to share from this week? Any big plans for the weekend?

In the US, we're celebrating Independence Day on Monday. I hope everybody has a wonderful Fourth and makes lots of great memories with family and friends.

Enjoy the

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 7:32am

Hi! I do have a little victory to report. I started cleaning out my office drawers and bookshelf last night and

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 11:38am

We actually sat down and went over the budget!!! We haven't done this since before Thumper came along. I always did and DH just went along with it. But he actually looked over it too!!! It was nice, cause

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 8:58pm

That was a great stash of items you found in that drawer!LOL! Except for the taser and mace.
I sure hope you don't ever need to use them!
I love finding stuff like that. Address books are good for making a price list and they're usually nice and small so easy to pop in your purse or grocery bag.
Here we have to buy bags for 5 cents so it's bring-your-own at all the grocery stores. I have some good quality ones that I bought for 99 cents each. The fabric they are made out of is from recycled plastic soda bottles! Awesome! I sewed a pocket inside one so I can keep my pricebook, calculator, coupons and a pen handy while I'm shopping.
We had our 4th of July equivalent here in Canada yesterday so plenty of fireworks everywhere.
It was nice to be off work and I got my walk-in closet all cleaned out. Now I have a ton of space and can clean up my spare room.
Yay! and it only took me one hour! I thought it would take me days!LOL!

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-02-2010 - 9:27pm

I'm really trying to get a handle on my food shopping budget, so I sat down and looked at my recipes, cleaned out my pantry to see what I had (organized it so it looks great, and I know exactly what I have), and then I also searched online for recipes that I could make with just the items I have on hand. I have my entire next week of recipes planned out. Yay! I knew I had to do something when I opened my freezer to pull out some chicken and realized that in order to shut the door, I had to quickly slam it to avoid having food fall out! The freezer is stuffed to the gills. If I went shopping right now, I don't know where I'd put the items I bought. lol

So this weekend, we'll be relaxing here at home, not spending any money at all, and weather permitting, we'll be cooking outside on the grill a lot. If not, I have a back-up plan. The old Counter-top Rotisseriee gadget (the "Set it and Forget it" Informercial one)--I'll just cook our burgers, brats, and hot wings inside if it's too hot or too rainy outside. :-) Either way, I'll just be enjoying the fact that I'm eating what I have and not heading out to the stores to spend money. :-)

Pat :-)

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-03-2010 - 12:40am

Not much planned for this weekend. Worked today (Saturday) and considering visiting friends tonight.
Tomorrow, I'll just take it easy and continue my declutter/sort things out process, and consider making some time for stitching.

This week after starting my process of getting organized I realized that the amount of clutter I'm surrounded by usually reflects how organized or not I am in my finances. My aim this month is to get organized and stay organized. I don't know that others would call this realization a victory, but I certainly do.
I purchased a 14L storage box earlier in the week - it did cost $6, but once I have everything sorted it will come in handy for actually storing things. At the moment though, it is the perfect size for putting some of the clutter into for sorting. It fits just enough to make it worth sorting, while not fitting so much in that its overwhelming to sort. I'm doing the sorting with a rubbish bag beside me, so that if its a "to get rid of" item I don't have the opportunity to change my mind.

I suspect that I'll probably have a few instances like you've had with your office draws Colleen. Even without having sorted my desk draws or bookshelves I can already confirm that I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much stationery.

Lyn

Lyn