Do coupons really pay off?

iVillage Member
Do coupons really pay off?
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 2:13pm

Interesting article.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 5:06pm
I'm on the fence. Some weekends pay off, some don't. I agree about buying more then I need to sometimes, but if I've also saved 10-12 dollars and the paper was 1.50 so it still came out to about 8-10. I guess not a whole lot and its not like it used to be, but I don't mind sitting in front of the tv at night and sorting and clipping. I just rather have a few more ways I can save money while sitting in front of the tube.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 6:12pm

It's really based on the value of your time for each hour. I'm self-employed, and I can use 2 or 3 hours to save $5 on foods we REALLY use, or I can use those 2 or 3 hours to generate more income by accepting another project.

Most foods we eat don't come with coupons, and neither do the non-food items we use.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 8:32pm

Since we don't really get coupons in the newspaper here, I have a different point of view. Here, usually when we find coupons its because we're on a email mailing list for the producer of said product or its in a magazine.

Whether it was a newspaper or magazine, I wouldn't buy it specifically for the coupon(s). Ultimately, I think regardless of how you obtain your coupons, they work best if you aren't just looking at the saving from the coupon - but also use the coupon when the product is on special if you can. Personally, I see no point in using a coupon on a product if I know that the price after using a coupon is the same as or near to the price of the item when its on special.

Lyn

Lyn

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 2:17pm
Coupons are annoying and time consuming, I think most people just love the idea of using a rewards card with a phone number. Sometimes the savings are big enough to make you feel rewarded instead of drained from clipping newspaper and junk mail. I'm also newly addicted to the daily deal website's that give you a major discount for prepaying, you just have to remember to redeem them :)
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 2:18pm

Yes coupons save me money, but I only save coupons for items that I use already, unless it is a free coupon to get me try something. I don't buy extra papers for coupons, although if there is a really good coupon in the paper I may ask friends for theirs.
We get a coupon flyer weekly here and I check it out and save the coupons that I know I will use. I keep them in a small envelope in my purse. I never have more than 5-6 in there at a time so don't usually have to worry about the expiry dates on them. I also check to see if using the coupon makes the price lower than a generic/store brand if we don't mind the store brand.

plus I think I would sooner clip coupons while watching tv than mopping the floor lol.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 11:49am

Yeah, i completely agree with you. I get the Sunday paper with all of the coupons anyways, so i'm not paying extra just to have them.

I think coupons can be a great thing, but most of the time I take advange of the Buy one get one free deals that my grocery store (publix) has weekly. They seem to have a better discount than anything, that is if i actually use the product.

wedding planning
wedding planning
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 2:35pm

The commissary usually hands out cuopon books and flyers on the weekends when I do my shopping so I grab them for free.

I'll usually spend Sunday cutting out what I'll need while DD naps and DH watches tv.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 3:25pm
LOL! :o)

Join us for
Pina Colada Day!
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 3:50pm
Interesting article. I use a lot of coupons but I rarely sit and clip them out. I usually buy them online cheap and still save money. For example I bought 10 coupons online for 2.00 off any bag of the cat food I use. I paid 1.00 for the 10 coupons including shipping. Each coupon made a bag of cat food .19 instead of 2.19. So I saved $19.00 on something I have to buy and it took me very little effort.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 8:46pm
I save money with coupons occasionally, but not very often.

Pages