Back to school?

iVillage Member
Back to school?
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 10:53am

Has anyone started working on their Back to School budget?

Have you begun to figure out what your child(ren) will need for clothing, shoes and supplies?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: ma2connor
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 12:05pm

My son starts Kindergarten this year.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 2:20pm

I don't have a school-age child yet, but I have fond memories of Back-to-School shopping with my mom. It was the one time she'd actually buy us stuff!

At least, that's how I remember it. :o)

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 6:15am

Both my kids are in high school this year. I have most of their supplies stocked up pretty good

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 3:29pm

Just realized I didn't answer my own question.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 7:01pm

I don't have kids but I do remember back to school shopping with my mom. I usually got my sister's hand-me-downs until I got to high school and then I got a lot taller than her.
Sounds like you have a good plan.
What is a baja? is this a type of jacket or something? I have never heard of this before but then I am in Canada and we do have some weird names for things.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 7:42pm

A Baja is a Mexican hooded sweatshirt.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-28-2010 - 9:05pm

Thanks for the link Stacy! Now I know exactly what a baja is :)
I can see how it could get ruined if not washed carefully.

Nathalie

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 8:08pm

Hi! :)

We're all finished with our school shopping. We start back on August 16th. We're fine on clothing and shoes. We homeschool so there's no uniforms to buy or trends to keep up with. No peer pressure to have certain name brands or anything like that. (Wow, I can still remember the big Jordache Jeans craze when I was a kid when the other girls would inspect everyone's jeans to see if they were the right brand, and the answer would determine if you were popular or not. lol) We also live near the beach, so the wardrobe for a boy is pretty simple--shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops. :) I just replace things as he outgrows them.

On supplies, I was able to use most of what we used last year. I did get him new notebook paper and 2-pocket folders with the little 3-ring clasps in the middle. But that's about it. Later on in the year, we'll be getting into biology, and I'll need to order him some worms and possibly other specimens for dissection, but that's going to be towards the end of the school year.

We really didn't bust our budget on school supplies this year since we were able to reuse just about everything, and the few things we needed were pretty cheap during the back-to-school sales. :)

Patty

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 8:48am

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2010 - 9:10am

That's wonderful that your son isn't bothered by the trends. I have a lot of pre-teen and teen nieces, and they simply will not wear clothing unless it's a certain brand, purchased at a certain store, etc. When one 14yo niece bragged about paying $120 for one pair of jeans, I smiled and said, "You're kidding right?", and she smiled back and said, "Oh, Aunt Patty, you just don't get it." LOL I guess I don't. :-D I have a feeling my son would be the same way as yours about the trends. He spends a lot of time with kids of all ages with his sports/interests, and he's heard the kids boasting about everything from the brand of lunchbox they're going to be carrying or type of backpack they'll be toting (complete with one child saying to another, "Well, mine is BETTER!"), to which hair stylist they're using for their back-to-school haircuts. My son just doesn't get all the fuss. His only style request is that there be no big artwork on his t-shirts. He likes them solid or with a small design, but nothing big and bold.

Patty :)

"My son is 16 and going into his senior year of high school. Public school. Trends don't bother him any and he just wears what he likes. He hates clothing that advertise brands so he won't wear anything with it's name brand splattered across it. He will wear them only if the logo is smaller than a quarter. (Think the polo logo or Hollister's small seagull on their button down shirts)."

Pages