Car maintenance/repair fund...

iVillage Member
Car maintenance/repair fund...
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 11:41am

Hi ladies, quick question...

We've never bothered with a car maintenance/repair fund before as we've made enough money between us to cover anything that came up.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 1:35pm

We put 100 in a month and let it grow. This month alone we had a windshield replaced 250, 2 oil changes so that was an addition 150. DH's truck will be due for its 50,000 maintance (maybe its 60,000) in the next couple of months so that will be around another 200, plus he is having issues with his a.c.

On top of that we just put new tires on his truck in May at the price of 800.

My point, it doesn't take long for it to add up. I'm going to start our fund off at 250, and continue to build each month. We will use it as it is needed, and continue to let it build.

summer siggy Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-25-2010 - 3:05pm

Hi Katie.

It depends on what you're driving now. For example, an older car will need more maintenance, repairs, and replacement parts

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 3:49am

Not so much a number to aim for, such as a fund with $1,000--rather a monthly number to put in, and as a previous poster mentioned, letting it grow.

And, a monthly contribution can be only dependent on income. But, ANYTHING a person contributes monthly is better than nothing.

Mileage each year makes a big different in repairs, replacement of tires, oil changes, tire rotation and balance, brakes and rotor replacement, belts and chains replacement, fluid changeouts and additions,

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 11:00am

Thanks for the input everyone :)

I like the idea of just letting it grow.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 3:09pm

We have ours set at $1000 but if you can manage to get it there and then allow it to grow some it may give you more peace of mind.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 7:50pm

I like the idea that some have put forward of letting the fund grow. I can't remember who mentioned it, but they are right that different vehicles will cost different amounts to maintain.

Coming from a background where I have spent a fair amount of time in automotive workshops, I would recommend either talking to your mechanic if you use the same one every time and think you can trust him or using your vehicle owners manual as a good starting point for figuring out what maintenance will need to be done in the year ahead. Often when people are hit by bigger than expected bills for maintenance checks its because they needed the things that aren't needed every check done - things like brake fluid, transmission fluid and a few other bits and pieces don't need changing at every service, but still need to be done at regular frequencies.
Things like brake pads and tyres are harder to predict how often they need replacing since it depends on how you drive and where you're driving - which is why a mechanic that you've been using for a while and trust can be helpful in figuring out what you need to include.

Lyn

Lyn