All Natural/Organic on a Budget

iVillage Member
All Natural/Organic on a Budget
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 6:46am

Hi ladies...

random question time :) Does anyone on here eat organic/all natural food? How does it affect your budget? Do you buy less frequently, only certain items or give up something else to have it?

How about all natural or environmentally friendly cleaning products? Are they worth the money?

I'm asking these and curious to see the answers. I went to the store last week and was going to buy the all natural peanut butter for me and dd but when I saw it was $1.10 more than regular and you got 2 oz less I decided not to. Seemed a little ridiculous for the amount of peanut butter she eats.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 12:43pm

For fresh fruits and veggies, I use the Dirty Dozen guide. It's somewhere on the Internet. A quick rule-of-thumb is... if you eat the skin, get organic. If you cut or peel the skin away, it's less important to have organic, but wash the item before you cut/peel.

Potatoes are probably the only exception to this rule, but they are also think-skinned, unlike a pineapple.

For meats, I can't afford organic. $15-$20 a pound for roasts is just way out of line. A friend in a another state can get it for $7 per pound. So, check around. If I lived somewhere else, it might be different. However, I do check the ingredient list. If hamburger HAS an ingredient list (!!!) I won't buy it. I don't buy meats that have solutions added, like as chickens and turkey.

There IS a certain amount of WATER that can be retained from butchering, but SOLUTION is junky chemicals. Big difference, and the package will say what it is. When I see a turkey that says 15% solution added, forget it. It's a chemical-based solution. Were it to say 15% water, that would be different, but even at that 15% is a lot of worthless weight to pay for. The chicken I buy has 4% water retained. NOT solution.

For dairy, I decide what's the most important thing to have organic? That is FAT. Toxins and chemical accumulate in fat. So,

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 9:33pm

Hi Katie,

Great question! I do try to buy natural foods (I guess that's what you'd call them), although not always organic. But, it's manageable for me because I time the purchase based on sales, use coupons, and buy in bulk when I can.

For example, I pay extra for Chobani Greek Yogurt because of the ingredients. It's the healthiest yogurt I've found, plus it's yummy and versatile. I use it as dessert, a snack, and even as a sour cream substitute. Sometimes I save money by buying a tub of the plain yogurt instead of individual serving containers.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 7:29am

I do the same as indexlady.
I hate it when frozen meat says it is seasoned...seasoned with what??? I read a lot of labels and tend to eat the same things on a two week rotation as far as meats go so that I know what's good.
Sometimes organic fruits go on sale. I check that out once I'm in the store...these specials are never advertised.
There are some good local butchers in my area that feed their livestock good grains and are small family operations. I like to buy my meats from them they don't use antibiotics unless an animal is sick and they have to.
To clean with, I use white vinegar, borax and I have a Shark steam cleaning machine for the floor and another one that does smaller surfaces. It even steams clothing. Love it!
I'm very sensitive to fragrances so I make sure everything I get is scent free...it's harder than you think to find scent-free stuff.

Nathalie