Starting the process

iVillage Member
Starting the process
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 7:59pm
Hi

I am so new to this board. I am scheduled to see a plastic surgeon on April 11th for a breast reduction. I orginally thought i was a 38DD and went in to a specialize bra store and found out i am a 38 F. Two sizes bigger. I have chronic back pain. My biggest concern is that, will they be able to remove enough to have the insurance pay for it. I was told that the ins company says 600 grams which to me is high. What can i expect from the insurance company and the surgeon office. Any help would be great, Thanks Jennifer

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 8:16pm
My friend was a DD and her PS took off 500 from each and she is now a mid C.

Good luck-I'm waiting for news from my ins too.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 8:36pm
Welcome to the board! I'm so glad you joined us!

Isn't it scary to find out that we were wearing the wrong bras all this time!! I had the same thing happen to me. I was wearing a D and was a DDD and I had a friend wearing a D who turned out to be an F!!! Unreal!

As far as I can recall.. when I had my surgery the minimum requirement for removal was 1 pound from each breast and I had 1 1/2 pounds removed. And you've got a pretty safe bet that if you are that size - you'll be in their range. The best gauge, however, will be the surgeon. He'll be able to look at your breasts and give you a feel for the anticipated amount of removal. They know what they are able to do and they will work within those guidelines to the best of their ability.

You can expect to have a sit down consultation with the doctor where you discuss the surgery and get to ask all your questions. Then you will have a brief exam and the doctor or his assistant will take photographs of you to submit to the insurance company as part of the justification. Generally the PS's office will do all the submissions and work towards the approval for you.. but be sure to ask about all of that up front just to be sure you clearly understand what to expect from them.

On the home page is a list of questions for your consultation. You may want to look that over.

Wishing you the best!

Jill

http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-jill.2/thebreastreductionhomepage/

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 10:54pm
Hi

Thank you so much for responding. I have thought about emailing you after i looked over the web site last night. I am planning on printing out the questions and asking several of them.

It is so scary but at the same time exciting about all of this. I was in the store today looking at B and C bras to just see what they look like. I haven't worn that size since middle or high school. I feeI am trying to figure out what side of my family gave me these breast. It almost seems like my mom is not too comfortable with it. She feels like i am blaming it on her side. I have told her I don't. But on the other hand, she knows how much i have wanted to do this and she has seen the pain that i have gone through with my back.

I am hoping that everything goes ok. I am currently under a Pain management Dr for workers comp for a back injury. I have seen this dr for about a yr and a half. I left a message asking if he can write up a short history of the back stuff. So i can give to the PS. I don't feel comfortable telling this dr what is going on, but i suspect he will what to know. Any suggestions. I feel this is something personal that i don't feel comfortable telling him eventhough i have gone to him for so long.

What kind of problems led you to this decision. Did you have any pain in the back or across the chest like you are tired of breathing. Again, thanks so much for your warm welcome. Jennifer

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 9:21am
Good luck Jennifer. I just had my consult on Monday.

Cherie

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 6:16pm
Hi Jennifer!

You are so welcome and are invited to email me anytime!

There were several things that led me to the reduction. First and foremost - I couldn't stand having huge breasts and nothing irked me more than everyone "talking to the chest" as though I didn't have a face! But beyond that... the bra strap digs in my shoulders drove me crazy, my chest felt so constricted all day and I got endless rashes underneath! It was so uncomfortable! I had bad backpain and very poor posture as a result. So the combination of it all took it's toll on me!

Jill