It's Worth the Wait!

iVillage Member
It's Worth the Wait!
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:27am
I had BR surgery last Friday. I am 54 years old and thought it would be even a tougher recovery because of my "age". I am here to tell you it is the BEST thing I could have done for myself. My neck no longer hurts! Looking in the mirror now is not the prettiest sight, but I feel younger and more alive than ever. Just that weight coming off my front has given me a new outlook. It's only been 6 days since surgery but I feel great!

I bought all these gauze pads, tape, etc. expecting there to be a real mess. I have needed none of those things. Didn't save my receipt for K-Mart but will try to return them.

A little piece of advise for those dealing with insurance companies. I was denied twice, and followed through with the appeal process. Finally, I was approved. It was a 5 month process, but worth the wait. I really believe the insurance companies just automatically deny and wait and see if you are actually serious. It takes some perseverance, that's for sure.

For those ladies that are considering breast reduction, go for it! no matter what your age.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:21am
May I ask exactly what you say in the appeals process to get them to change their minds? I have my 1st consult on April 1st so I havent been denyed yet but would like to know how to go about it if I am. Thanks and congrats on your surgery:) Sher.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 5:21pm
Sherrie,

What I did with the first appeal was to include a letter of recommendation that was written by my gynecologist. It was only a small paragraph but it stated that he recommended BR due to upper back/neck pain, and that I had grooves in my shoulders. I also at that time wrote a letter myself stating my neck pain, grooving, etc. That was the first appeal. Denied again.

The second appeal I just simply wrote a letter stating that I was very uncomfortable and thought this surgery would enhance my health. I NEVER said anything about being self-conscious or anything that might indicate a purely cosmetic surgery. After this second appeal, denied again. I had one more chance!

The third appeal went to the insurance company but they had a "board" with someone clinical on it. That makes sense. Anyway, I was really about to give up. Oh, about this time I started going to a chiropractor for limited range of motion in my neck. The "board" must have contacted that office because in my letter of approval it mentioned all the information received - and there was something from the chiropractor office. So, I was then approved. That whole process took about 5 months.

I was a 38DD (or more) and now, I think I might be a C. Not sure yet because of the swelling from the surgery and healing that needs to take place. But, I sure am happy.

Best of luck to you!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:00pm
You are my inspiration! I am 53 years old but of course, look and feel much younger. I am 36DDD and have been miserable with neck and back pain for 30 years. I never thought that I could get a BR until my Primary Doctor suggested it a year ago. She wanted me to lose some weight first which I have done and then try to get approval from insurance.

I am a teacher and have Aetna HMO. I submitted a letter from the P.S. and I wrote a letter recounting my pains and problems for the last 30 years. I was denied last week but supposedly they will reopen my case when they receive the results of my momogram and letter from my PCP. I can't believe that anyone would think we would do this for cosmetic reasons alone!! I am going to continue to pray that I get approved and soon I can be a "C" JUST LIKE YOU. PLEASE keep posting so I can keep up with your progress!!

I am so happy for you and hope everything continues to go smoothly!!

Nancy
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:16pm
Thank you very much for the reply! It is so helpful when you hear other stories of not giving us. Congrats again !!! Sher
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:53pm
AWESOME!

I just found this site today. I have been thinking about this for a long time.

Can you tell me how the insurance company made their decision. I already have a herniated disc of the C-spine, so I would think that would be a consideration.

How much weight did you lose with the reduction? I am guessing it would be close 2 to

4 lbs? I have so many questions? How long is the recovery process?

CONGRATULATIONS!

NEL

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 8:39pm
It's great isn't?! Congratulations and if you are happy after 6 days, just think how you'll be after 6 weeks and 6 months! It just gets better and better! Betsy
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 4:39pm
As far as how the insurance company made a decision, I am not sure. I would guess that it was all the information I sent in with appeals: letter from gynecologist, information from chiropractor, letters from me, etc.

My PS removed close to 500 mg from each breast - I think that equals out to 2 pounds.

As far as the recovery goes. I had PS done last Friday - today is my 8th day post-op. I feel wonderful and am having to hold myself back from chores that I shouldn't at this point. Nothing throughout this whole surgery has ever hurt. Of course, you are prescribed pain medication, but the worst "hurt" was the pull where the incision is. It's not a big deal to me.

I hope I helped!

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 4:45pm
Nancy,

Instead of trying to keep in touch on this board, why not e-mail me? My address is lmpski@netmcr.com

Thanks!

Lynn

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 10:28pm
Hi, I haven't posted for a few weeks, I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op and enjoying my new size. I noticed that your age was 54 and I read that another lady was 53. I'm 61! Is there anyone out there who can top that? I believe that I was a slow "healer", perhaps because I'm older and had so much taken off. I was "pouring out" of my 40 DDD and I told the PS to make me around a full C cup. Well I went shopping a couple of days ago and ended up in 40 D but I'm totally satisfied with that. What a difference! I had a total of 5 pounds taken off (2 1/2 from each side). The best part is they're (up there) where they belong! It's funny because when people see me they think I've just lost weight. I haven't, except for the 5 pounds! I did have problems with the staples and they actually got infected (earlier post in archives now) but other than still "spitting out" some stitches that were supposed to be the dissolving kind I'm doing okay. So you younger gals I say " go for it" if you are still trying to make up your mind.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 12:44pm
How wonderful! Aren't you glad you did it? I only wish I had done it years ago....or pursued it! I do not have staples or stitches on the outside. All I have is steritape - it still hasn't fallen off yet. I look forward to buying new bras, but for now these sports bras a very comfortable. What I REALLY look forward to is sleeping on my side again. I long for those days, or should I say nights!

Pages