Credit Report and FICO Scores

iVillage Member
Credit Report and FICO Scores
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 10:36am
I posted this on the old board, but I can't find it.

A month ago I sold my house and paid off the mortgage. I used the profit to pay off about $14000 of $17000 in credit card debt that I had been accumulating for the last 10 years. I have about $2500 left to pay off.

I vow never to get into credit card debt again and I am trying to be more responsible for my finances. The last time I pulled my credit report was well over a year ago. Is this a good time to get it and my FICO scores and see where I am? I have never defaulted on any payments but I have been late on some credit card payments (by late I don't mean more than a month).

I still have my car loan and some hefty student loans, but I am budgeting more carefully and I won't have any more late payments in the future. Should I pull the report and scores now and then again in the fall and see how things have improved?

If so, where can I get them for free?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 11:49am
Congrats on paying off so much debt! That's great news! I just pulled my report and found that sometimes it takes a while for a payoff to hit your report. I paid off a card last month, and it's still on there... but it wasn't a huge amount. Maybe you should wait another month to be sure.

I heard you can get free reports in some states. But that doesn't apply to me, so I can't help you there. I paid 29.95 for all three reports plus my FICO score and an explanation of what it all means from creditreport.com. 30 bucks isn't bad to check your report once in a while. I do it about once a year.

Sharon

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 12:45pm
Hi

Congrats on lower your debts. If u were late no more than a month on payment, creditors usually don't report it. U should be ok.

MYM