Just Needing To Vent

iVillage Member
Just Needing To Vent
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 11:39am
Is there any end??? My dh has been out of work for six months now . . . we are getting farther behind on everything by the minute. He's been sending out applications to EVERYONE and getting a few interviews, but that's always as far as it goes. I'm thinking that the main problem with him NOT getting hired is the fact that he's a big guy, but sheesh, you'd think someone would give him a chance!!

I've applied for every help that I can think of and am always told that I make too much money. Of course, all they look at is your GROSS income for the month. Who the heck lives on their gross income anyway??

So, today I call our gas company to get on their budget billing program . . . I'm told that we have to clear up our outstanding bill before they can set us up . . . HELLO, I can't pay the bill, that's why I want to get on the program in the first place!! (And we're gonna need another shipment in the next few days :( )

Called our county social services, but they aren't able to help at all either . . . All I can do is keep praying.

Sorry, I just needed to vent about the problems :(

Hope you are all having a terrific day!! :)

Shannon

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:04pm
Hugs!!! I'm in a similar boat, although we are still recently reeling from it.

DH was laid off end of January and we will be feeling the pinch even tighter soon. I've been a Stay-at-home mom for about 2 years and did a stint last summer at dept. store in their phot department..it was a disaster with babysitting issues, so I'm really hesitant to go that route again, plus I'm pregnant...so...ugh!!

My DH hasn't even been getting calls for interviews :( Unfortunately, the field he is in (computers) is crappy right now, so he is figuring he is going to have to change just haven't figured out where yet and in the meantime continues to send out resumes & networking for the something in his field.

All I can offer you is hugs & good luck and let you know that there are others here that understand your frustration, etc...

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 12:00pm
My husbands company let him go after 32 years. He went from a supervisor to a OTR truck driver. The checks our half what he made. Now I feel all fingers are pointed at me to go out and work. I've tried but have no experience. I'm a stay at home mom and have nothing to put on resumes. With my husband gone most of the week it's a big change. I have a mother-in-law who tells my husband to pray for Gods' forgiveness. Who doesn't take out loans for home improvement while they have a good job? She figures it's all our fault, like he should have read his crystal ball! Hope things work out for you and will keep you in my prayers.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 12:01pm
I'm not sure what to write that will help out financially. I do have some suggestions for your DH regarding interviewing. Fisrt is he sending out a Thank you note after interviewing with employers. Just a quick note thanking the interviewer for his time and it is also an opportunity for your DH to restate his interest in the job. Second, does he call the interview back? He can do this and if DH finds out he didn't get the job he can ask the interveiwer if there was some reson why he wasn't hired for the position or if there was something wrong regarding his resume or his interveiw.

If your DH is uncomfortable calling the interveiwer, then he should go over with you how the interveiw went, what was said, anything he can recall about the interveiw and maybe you can pick up on something that DH can change. Perhaps he was to vocal regarding personal issues like family situation {{just an example}} Interveiws shoudl last about 30 minutes. THe interveiwer should be asking the majority of the questions and the interveiwee should have some questions related to the company when asked at the end "Do you have any questions?"

I would be more than happy to help you out on this. Also, if DH is getting interveiws then it would seem to reason that there isn't anything flagrantly wrong with his resume and perhaps something wrong with his interveiwing or it might just be that he is interviewing against some other more qualified interviewees.