I may be making progress?

iVillage Member
I may be making progress?
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 12:35pm
This whole debt thing has taken over my life. It's all I think about - how to get out of debt!!

Well, I officially cut my last credit card. I am now just paying off the bills. I have been paying 2 off for the past 16 months but this one - I've put $20 here and there. NO MORE!!! I'm done.

I just can't believe I'm in this situation. I always said this would never happen to me. I'm young and all I think about is debt. I don't feel like I can give ALL OF ME to my fiancee. He always wonders what's on my mind. I can't tell him that I'm in this much debt. We don't plan on getting married for a while. I couldn't drag him into this debt. I just feel bad about myself.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 2:34pm
You need to realize that YOU are more than your credit report!

You made a mistake- fix it and get on with life!

Instead of worrying about your debt- sit down and write out a plan. There is a way out- even if it seems like it is so far away! You have already taken the first step- stop adding to your debt.

Once you have a workable plan on paper- allow yourself one day a week to think about it. On that day- sit down and go over your budget and bills- look at the progress you have made and think about any changes you need to make. And then forget about it until the next week -except of course to the extent you have to think about it when you are sticking to your budget! What I do to avoid that is on bill day- I make all bill payments immediately- then take out any cash I need- groceries, alowances, gasoline, etc. Then I can spend any of the cash I want without worrying about it. I know the bills are paid and whatever is in my pocket is all I get- so I don't have to worry about being tempted to spend the phone bill money or take out from my savings, etc.

Tara P