Update from Brittany

iVillage Member
Update from Brittany
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 6:58am
Hi All,

I haven't been posting much the past few months, but I pop in from time to time to see how everyone is doing.

Since I am feeling a little anxious this morning, I figured I would share what has been going on financially with me. After getting the cards paid off and not using them since before xmas, I have hit a little snag. I charged $566.42 last billing cycle, which will need to be paid this Friday; and $449.83 so far this billing cycle, which will need to be paid w/ my first paycheck in May. IN MAY!! I will not incur any finance charges, but to have spent my future earnings AGAIN (which was earmarked for savings) is just so discouraging. I sit at my desk and think about how many weeks I have to work just to pay off what I already bought. I recognize the cycle, I break it before it gets out of control, but I'm so sick of how easily and freely I fall back into the same old trap.

A few of the purchases were normal and necessary and it would have made good financial sense to let them ride on the grace period of the card, rather than take $$ out of savings. But the majority of the purchases were just NOT necessary; it was overspending plain and simple, to the tune of the amount of almost an entire 2 weeks pay, times 2!!! Nothing I can return.

Arrrrgggg...thanks for letting me vent. Life in the debt free zone is a constant struggle and not as easy as I thought it would be.

Brittany

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:37am
Hi Brittany,

Good for you in recognizing your mistake. May I suggest cutting your credit cards. That way u won't be tempted to use them. You can use cash instead, and if you don't have cash then don't buy it.

It's been almost 2 months since my h cut up his credit cards. I recently cut up mine. We are currently paying what we owe, but have not accrued anymore debt. We owe alot of mula, thanks to his affair.

Just my two cents.

MYM

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:28am
Good job recognizing it before it gets too out of hand. It is definately a struggle to stay out of debt once we get out but just try to do better next time and charge only 1 week's future pay instead of 2 (of course, charging none would be even better but we all know how that goes sometimes). :)

Hugs!!