New Here

iVillage Member
New Here
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 6:48am
Hi all,

This is my first time on this board. To be honest with you, I never thought I would be able to pay off my debt. I became disabled a few years ago and after being turned down for SSI I thought my life was just about over....literally and emotionally. Things have changed for me. I started selling some of the graphics I draw and started my own company, so now I want to pay off my debt. I could go bankrupt, and at times I feel that I should do it, but if I can pay off my debt I'd like to do it. I owe about $14,000 now.

My main problem started about ten years ago (I'm 38 now). My brother and I realized that we could easily get credit cards with very little effort. $3000 credit limits wouldn't last us long. We've learned from our mistakes. My other little brother (22 years old now)learned from our mistakes, but he learned in the wrong way. He's in debt now too and I want him to see me getting OUT of debt instead of seeing us wallow in it. He was a major receiver of our debt "good times". We would take him to the toy store once a week and let him buy anything he wanted.....times have changed tho..

I'm glad to see this support group here. For me, the time to do this is NOW. I don't like being in debt. I don't like the bill collectors calling and I'm tired of being afraid to answer the phone..:)

iVillage Member
In reply to: belverbears
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 7:52am
Hi,

Welcome to the greatest money support group in the net! I was in debt up to $20,000 and now about a year later after joining this group, I know how to deal with my debt, pay it down and off and now I am on my way to being debt free by Christmas of this year.

Please post about your financial woes and triumphs and we'll get you all the help you need.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Andi D.