Lost my job... blessing in disguise?

iVillage Member
Lost my job... blessing in disguise?
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 6:13pm
Well, the pseudo-manager at my part-time job called me today to tell me that I'm just not up to par at work, according to her personal observations (made, I presume, during the two or three times I've seen her as she dashed in, cell-phone glued to her ear, to post a new schedule at the last possible moment), and so she's taken me off the schedule.

Dh makes enough money to pay all our bills now, and a small amount extra to our ccs, and I'm working on building my freelance career by breaking into the national magazine market, so in the long run it probably won't affect us much financially, but it was a bit of a blow, mostly to my ego. I've been suffering from low-level anxiety in regard to this job ever since our manager (the one who hired me and who was there every night and treated us fairly) was laid off and they've been making stupid management decisions without ever being at the bar to see what's actually going on.

And, I was planning to quit at the end of July anyway.

It's just hard for me to swallow, and even though I know their pathetic lies about why they've sacked me are just that, pathetic lies, I'm the sort of person who can't help thinking, "but maybe I really wasn't up to par?" "What if they're right about me, and I really can't handle anything simpler than a waitress job at a small, slow bar?" Never mind that I already write for some of the regional magazines and have held down harder waitressing jobs than this one and never mind that I already knew they were making stupid decisions and getting rid of all the wrong people, I just feel a little bad. And it sucks that we won't have fun money again for a while. Sigh.

Well, meanwhile, I get to be with my family every night now and work on my writing career, and not have to put up with dirty old men wanting kisses and butt-grabs. More power to them! LOL

Maybe someone's trying to tell me it was time to move on already.

Thanks for listening to my rambles!

Heather

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 6:48pm
Heather,

It sounds like you have a great attitude about it already, but I have to pass on a statistic one of my college professors told me years ago. He said that the average person will be fired/laid off THREE times in their career. I am guessing often for undetrmined reasons! And when I worked at a restaurant we had the same kind of woman who would come in once a week, on her cell, wipe down a counter, yell at a few people and then swoop out...we hated her, but she was the owners sister, so what could we do!!

Good luck on your writing, I would love to read your work! What market are you getting into?

Rebecca

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 7:12pm
Well, if three is the average, I'm already over! LOL I got laid off from a corporate job once, and essentially fired three times (including this one) from restaurant/bars. But the restaurant/bar scene has a really high turn-over rate, and I don't really consider it part of my career anyway--just something I do for money, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback and encouragement. It's nice to hear. I'm trying to get into the parenting magazine market. I currently write for some regional business magazines, a field I used to be very interested in and involved in (I was a member of the Chamber of Commerce and read the Wall Street Journal every day, for starters) but have increasingly moved away from. It's a lot of work for me to keep up with, with a toddler at my knees. The parenting market, however, is something I research for fun now, so I'm making a change of direction.

You can actually read some of my stuff online if you're interested, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to post the URLs for the mags here. You can email me if you're that interested, but it's pretty dry business stuff mostly, LOL. heather@careyhead.net.

Thanks again for the encouragement. Now, back to my query letter for Baby Talk mag! :)

Heather

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 10:23pm
Sounds like it was a blessing in disguise. It is obvious that someone has bigger plans for you. Now take that time that you spent dodging old men, and use it to write some articles.

-Darcy

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-07-2003 - 10:44am
Heather,

Sorry about your job. However, sounds like it is a blessing in disguise.

Think about it this way, you were going to quit in July! Well....now you can collect unemployment benefits.

Hang in there, girl. Looks like you have something better lined up anyway. (your writing career).

MYM

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 8:38am
Thanks, MYM. It's always good to hear the encouragement. I'm going in to pick up my final paycheck this afternoon, and I can't wait for everyone to see my glowing, smiling face for one last time. Every day since I was fired I've become happier about it. My son woke me at 5 this morning after a short, sleepless night, and I couldn't believe the difference in my attitude--because I've been getting adequate sleep (since I've not been at work till 3 in the morning night after night), I was able to get up in a cheerful mood and get things done around the house while being pleasant to my precious son. Last week under the same conditions, I would have gotten up grumpy, done a lot of shouting, gotten nothing done, and been cranky the rest of the day.

What a difference! Thank you, poor management, for setting me free!

Blessings,

Heather