New...again!

iVillage Member
New...again!
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 3:30pm
Hello! I'm quasi-new here...a couple years ago I used to hang 'round this board a lot as my DH and I were paying off our consumer debt, and with your support we had successfully gotten to a level of debt I felt comfortable with (no credit cards or other consumer debt - car payments and student loans only). Then we bought a house, and we started carrying a balance on our credit card. We are nipping that in the bud! We're on a mission to pay off all our unsecured debt and get back to that comfort zone - mortgage, car payments and student loan being the sole acceptable debt in our minds.

It feels good to be on the right track again, even though we have a ways to go. The good part is, we don't have anything like the rocky road we traveled before. We had to make some not-so-fun choices to set our priorities to rights...one is that we had planned to remodel our kitchen (I have 30 year old linoleum and countertops), but decided we need to pay off debt first and save the money to remodel so that we're not debting to do it. I know it's the right thing, I just don't like it! But it's not like I'm having to choose between rent and groceries - which once was the case.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 3:44pm
Ugh, sorry, I posted in the wrong folder!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 8:54am
Hi, I know how you feel about the house. When we moved into our's, everything needed to be redone (it was all 50 years old!). I tried to take it slow and do most of it myself.

Home Depot has peel and stick vinyl tiles that you can probably put right over your old linoleum (as long as it's level).

It may not be exactly what you want in the long run (but you'd be surprised, they have some nice choices) but you could probably have a new floor for around $100, depending on the size of your kitchen. It's really easy. I did it in our bathroom for $30 and

our kitchen for something like $80. It's not quite the natural stone I was dreaming of but it looks nice for now. ;)

Could you paint your countertops or use contact paper or something to give them a new look temporarily? I don't know if paint would work but they may make something that

"refinishes" countertops. Good luck! Have fun!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 11:18am
Zaboz, thanks for the welcome AND the ideas! If it was any other room in the house, y'know, we could just close the door, but the kitchen is the heart of any house whether we want it to be or not!

If all goes according to plan, we will be able to have saved up to do the kitchen by the end of this year. In that light, I don't think I want to spend time and money on temporary fixes - after all, it's only a matter of months, and it feels wasteful to buy and put down linoleum that I'm going to rip up and throw away in a couple months. I'd rather save that money toward the real fix. The only thing I can do to keep my sanity is to keep the kitchen scrubbed clean to within an inch of its life. I don't think an ugly room has ever actually killed anyone. :)