Motorcycle is a "Total Loss"

iVillage Member
Motorcycle is a "Total Loss"
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 7:48pm
T heard back from his insurance company on our motorcycle, and the repairs would cost more than the bike is worth. They're cutting him a check for the value of the bike which is, no doubt, less than we still owe on the loan.

He only had it for a year and a half. We can't afford another motorcycle, let alone a car, right now, so we're stuck with the bus, which wastes a lot of time, and doesn't take us where we need to go. It's all a damn mess.

If he'd been in an accident, I wouldn't give a rip about the bike as long as he was OK. Because it was hit by a (probably drunk) driver while parked, though, it makes me so angry. And there were not one but two hit-and-run jerks involved, because the first hit it pretty hard from the side, leaving it leaning onto the bumper of the car parked next to it (according to witnesses). When that car drove away, the bike smashed onto the pavement. More damage was probably done when it fell than when it was hit. The second driver couldn't just stand it up?! The kickstand was down, it wouldn't have taken much effort!

So I beg all of you:

1) Be careful parking next to motorcycles. The "love tap" on a bumper that you're used to when parallel parking next to a car can knock a motorcycle over. Newsflash: A motorcycle is not a bicycle. Any time a motorcycle gets knocked over, it costs at least $500 to fix the damage.

2) Don't assume motorcyclists are rich. Most urban motorcyclists are saving money by riding a motorcycle. It is not an extra luxury vehicle, purchased in addition to a car, but the primary mode of transportation. People use them to get to work every day. Real people, not rock stars and daredevils. In suburban and rural areas motorcycles are more likely luxury vehicles, but not in the city.

3) If you hit a vehicle, LEAVE A FREAKING NOTE! I know I'm asking a lot in the ethics department, but have some common decency. It's the least you can do when you've screwed up someone's life.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 8:28pm
I'm sorry, that sucks! I ride a moped and my husband rides a motorcycle so

I can really feel for you. I hope you'll get a decent amount from the insurance company.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-10-2003 - 8:57pm
I totally understand how bad that is for you...A few years ago I parked my car next to another car. It was sort of on a funny angle, but the other driver was at her car and I specifically asked her if she had enough room to get out with the way my car was parked. She emphatically said yes, it was fine, so I went away; came back and discovered that she had backed up into the side of my car and smashed in the driver's side door to the point where I couldn't open it...I had to climb in the passenger side and over the gear shift, which is easier said than done in an econo-size car.

The woman didn't leave a note and I couldn't find any witnesses...I had the insurance that should have covered the repairs, but the insurance company told me that I had to have a witness for it to be classified as a hit-and-run, and without a witness they would consider that I did the damage to it myself, so I would have to pay the $300 deductible to have it fixed!!

I hope you get decent money for the value of the bike.