Just a small update on us

iVillage Member
Just a small update on us
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:03am
As a lot of you know DH has been laid off since end of January.

DH has been looking diligently and basically finding nothing. So, it has boiled down to "what new career would you like to do?" It has boiled down to he is going to try his hand at becoming a Real Estate Agent.

We could use all the positive thoughts/prayers, etc... you could spare because I know this is basically a big gamble since it's a straight commission field and sales but it seems to be the direction we are to be moving in. And frankly, I'm *very* nervous about it...I like the stability of a *real* job LOL!! But no doors are opening in that department. I think he will do good at it because he does have a background in Real Estate but....

I just have to tell you about this though, I think it's just totally awesome. DH had to go meet with the agent yesterday and had to bring a check for $250 for the class/books, etc... (so he has his books and can start reading it anytime now). We weren't quite expecting to have to pay it then but OK, we had the money (and shame on us...I had a *plot* in the back of my head that we would just use a convience check from one of our credit cards to figure out all the fees he had to pay the first year and use that and the tuition was included...(OK...I'm hanging my head now for admitting that on this board that I'm even considering doing such a thing!! I know, it has a transaction fee, I know all the pitfalls, etc... but....sometimes you have to take drastic measures..*blushing*).

Anyway, so we didn't do the credit card route because she needed the check before I had time to get there, so I figured I would do that this morning. Lo & behold, DH went to church yesterday to finish up some computer work he was doing. When he came home he had a check for $260...I about fell over. Turns out it was *extra* from the Missions givings and they had to spend it on missions (they couldn't just put it in the general fund or anything like that), so they like to help out anyone who is unemployed in the church. Is that great or what? I knew they had told us if we needed help paying bills or whatever to just ask but we have been hanging in there, etc... We never asked for anything yet. We had no idea this was coming nor did they even know DH was taking this class. I just thought that was totally awesome!!

So that is where we are at right now...our goal is for him to hopefully just make enough to pay the bills and keep our heads above water at least when he first starts. It will take about a month or so for him to get his license and then of course take a while to get started, etc... So we aren't out of the woods by any way, shape or form but at least it's a start.

Becky

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:14am
That sounds great Becky! You never know, this may turn out really well for you.

The story about the check is amazing. It just goes to show that things always work

out in the end.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 11:07am
Wow! Isn't it amazing how things work out. My DH just started a new job - It doesn't pay 1/2 of what he was getting paid so I will have to rearrange our bill paying and tighten up our spending belts at home, but I think we can make it. I am getting a pretty good raise on the 20th and another small one sometime between now and June - so that will help out.

Don't feel too bad about considering using those credit card checks - sometimes you jsut have to do what you have to do. I know for me we have still been using our credit cards, less than before, but I'm still not off them completely. I don't know if I ever will be completely off them. However, all new debt {{except one - my cc that dh does not know about}} is paid before snowflaking.

I just keep saying to myself, things will get better when, this or that is paid, but then there always seems to be something new that comes up.

Hang in there! Your DH can make some good $$ in real estate!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 5:42pm
What a great story -- it's true how things have a way of working out. Was the computer work your DH was finishing for the church something he was being paid for? (If so, that will be some extra income coming in as well :-)) You mention that your DH has a background in real estate -- having an interest and prior knowledge/experience in that field will certainly give him an advantage when sitting for his license. Hugs and best of luck to your DH on taking his exam!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 6:30pm
What perfect timing for that money, I guess someone was looking out for you. It is really great how (even though your a little nervous) your supporting and encouraging your husband through this. I'll bet he is very greatful for you. With that kind of marriage you will be able to survive anything.

-Darcy

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 6:52pm
Yes, the church paid him for the computer work. He didn't ask to get paid, they offered but it was just some minor stuff he was doing.

He actually *had* his preliminary real estate appraisers licenses several years back but the person he was working under (with an appraiser licenses you have to basically be an apprentice for a while - he looked into that again, the law changed to now it's NOT LESS than 2 years under a licensed appraiser before you can get your full-fledged licenses) ran out of work and so kind of didn't go anywhere with it and it expired. His dad was a Real Estate Appraiser and DH used to help out occasionally doing the things like taking pictures of the comparable houses in the neighborhood, etc... A lot of the information for Appraisal and Agents overlap from what I could tell...Agents just don't need to get as detailed about all the measurements. :) So, I'm pretty sure some of this will just be review for him. We are hoping this knowledge comes in handy in the sales area.

Becky

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 7:01pm
Thank you!! I try to be...we kind of make a good team. :) I'm better at researching stuff and he's better at other things. So, I've already been doing TONS of research on marketing yourself as a Real Estate Agent and different ways to make him set himself apart (inexpensively..LOL!!). Mostly also because I know of things that I get from Real Estate Agents that they all seem to do and it's overdone type thing.

If he succeeds though, it helps all of us. If he falls flat on his face, I fall right along side of him...so it's in all our best interest for him to succeed. :)

With me being pregnant, I can't help out by going to get a job or anything, so...although, I would *prefer* him to go get a regular 9-5 job with benefits, life isn't cooperating with that, I just have to make sure we are attempting to be as realistic as possible and keep our fingers crossed that this is an area that will be a good fit for him.

Becky

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 9:04pm
Just read your post, Becky, and I thought it was awesome! Angels are watching over you and your family, I'm SURE!!! Best wishes for your husband's new career! I'll keep you in my prayers! Littlesbigs
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:35pm
Oh,Becky, I am so excited for you. That is so mysteriously wonderful. I know people who make excellent livings in Real Estate. It continues to amaze me how being open and honest with others works just like we are told by the people who write the books. The money from the church would not have come to you like that if you had not worked so hard all this time.

I'm doing the happy dance for you.

cl-12by10

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 11:09pm
God is awesome. Just when u guys needed that $. The Man Above never lets us down.

MYM