Got My Taxes Done...

iVillage Member
Got My Taxes Done...
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 10:10am
Well, if you remember from my last post, I was getting my taxes done yesterday. We got them done and it's kind of a good/bad news situation. The bad news is that we owe $2500 to Federal and $250 to State. The sad part is that someone had told me it would X amount to get the taxes done and so that's what I had anticipated. The bad news is that it was $100 more than that because of DH's self-employment status, we had to do 3 schedule C's and that cost more. So, I didn't even have enough money to get my taxes out. They're being ransomed by H&R! But, the good news, if you can believe that any can come from this, is that DH finally woke up and realized that this self-employment pipe-dream is killing us. He's going to dissolve the business and get a dependable real job. He's also going to sell his work truck and his equipment so that should bring some cash flow in. We will also save $170 a month on expenses for the business. So, I guess there always is a silver lining. Now, I just need to brainstorm on how to pay to get our taxes out by Tax Day.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 11:43pm
Wow, that's a pretty big blow. BUT, it is good news that your husband has decided to get a job. Part of our debt (okay, *most* of our debt) was accrued while I was trying to support us out of our house. Ugh. First things first--pay your bills. In a few years, when you're paid off, you can start saving up, and eventually he can go back to running a business (if that's still what he wants to do) with enough savings to support the family in the meantime.

Glad you've got a positive attitude about it.

Blessings,

Heather