How do I stop things from getting worse?

iVillage Member
How do I stop things from getting worse?
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 1:58pm
I finished University almost a year ago and was supposed to start paying back my student loans last November. Leading up to that time I had a job that paid fairly well and I fully intended on beginning payments. Then Murphy's Law hit and I lost my job! I was unemployed for four weeks, and then started a temp position right before Christmas. I found a new job and started two days before Christmas and then was off for 2 weeks over the holidays. Needless to say with 6 weeks of no income, things got a little crazy. I had no savings (just finished my degree), I rent and had just leased a brand new car (a requirement of the first new job). I owe $32,500 in student loans (government), another $6,700 in bank loans and my Visa is maxxed at $2800! That doesn't even start to touch rent, car payments... I haven't bought groceries in over a month! Now I'm not in any physical danger (living off pantry and well selected items). But now I've realized that the job I'm in right now has to end. I've discovered some unethical behaviour in my office that could be translated into fraud. I know the right thing to do is to leave and report this information to the governing bodies but where does that leave me? I'm barely scraping by to begin with!

I've negotiated a revision of terms for my student loans however my credit has still been affected. I've been able to maintain my payments on my other debts but I'm barely keeping my head above water. I know if I have another lapse in income that things will go south very quickly. But I'm an extremely honest and ethical person and I can't see myself working at my current job another day. Please help... is it wrong to stay in a job where I know bad things are going on while I look for alternate work? I've started looking for a new job and I plan on pumping out the resumes all weekend... I still feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Mel

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 8:39pm
I know it's hard but I would stay at your current job until you find something else.

I worked at a place that had similar problems and I had to stick it out until

I found another job. You are right to leave but don't leave so hastily that you put

yourself in financial danger. You didn't know the company was unethical when you

took the job so don't beat yourself for staying until you can make a safe transition.

Stand your ground as much as possible (don't do things that are unethical if you can help it) and try to find something else soon.

Things will get better! Hang in there!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-14-2003 - 2:01am
What a tough spot to be in. You understandly have some hard decisions to make. What I would do is focus as much time as you can on finding a new job. I would also notify someone (I don't know who)of what you suspect is going on, or at least makes some documented inquiries of things you don't understand. There are whistleblower laws to protect you, or that are suppose to protect you. This way at least your protected in the meantime. First you still have a job for a little while and secondly if they are caught in the meatime you have protected yourself from being part of the wrong doings.

Good Luck! Darcy

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 3:03am
First thanks to you both for your encouragement... I seem to have a guardian angel to look over me as I just received an unexpectedly large tax refund in the mail today. It will totally pay off my credit card so that's one less thing to worry about. As for the job... I guess you're right, I need to think smart on this one and plan for another job first. In the past few days I've found some very attractive postings that I am pursuing with all my effort. I guess I just need to hang in and work hard on getting out as soon as possible. Thanks again... sometimes you just need to talk things through and get some other viewpoints to have everything make a little more sense.

Mel