DF Job Situation Frustration...

iVillage Member
DF Job Situation Frustration...
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 1:54pm
Since my DF lost his job in January, he's been working for a temp service. He's getting ready to start his fourth assignment with them within the next week. Well, anyone who's ever worked for a temp service knows that A) the pay isn't that good B) there are no benefits, and C) it's not stable work. So today, I heard of a really good job that I wanted to tell DF about, with excellent benefits and above average pay for this area, the only thing he would have to do is get some old fines cleared up so he can get his drivers license in this state (he hasn't had one since he moved her a year ago.) It's almost $800 by now, and every time we've almost gotten it saved up, something has happened where we've had to use it to pay bills or buy groceries. So, anyway, I called DF and told him about it, and do you know what he said?? "But honey, I have a job." Referring to this next assignment the temp service has for him! Granted, it's at the best company in the area, but it's a TEMP JOB for piddly squat $$$$!!! I was floored. I would almost beg, borrow and steal to get this $$$ for him to get his license if it meant he'd finally have a permanent well paying job again! So, WTF?!?!?! He even mentioned the other day he needed a permanent job, so why all of a sudden is he acting like I'm crazy when I tell him of one that he could almost surely get just by doing this one little thing???

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-17-2003 - 12:02pm
I feel for you! My husband is on the same temp roller coaster and we have 3 kids and a house to support. I have a tooth that desperately needs to be filled and we don't have sex because we can't afford birth control! He is supposed to go permanent May 5th so May 5th is the mantra I use to calm myself down when I am getting super frustrated! He went a whole year without a job and it is great that he is working full time down but the pit we are shoveling ourselves out of is overwhelming! Temp angencies should start calling themselves Catch-22's-R-Us!

Hang in there and know he is at least getting some varied experience and hopefully he will get a good assignment that will lead to a good job. Make him a cover letter and iron his shirt if you have to but get him to at least apply for that job! It can't hurt. Things have a way of working themselves out.
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 5:28pm
I understand how frustrated you must be. You need financial security going into a life together. Maybe you should talk this out a little more with him. To me it sounds like he really wants a permanant well paying job, but doesn't like to have to go out and get one. You know the whole interviewing process can be a little overwhelming for some people. My Dh was like this everytime he changed jobs it was because he new someone at another place and even though he had to interview it was always a shoe in. I suggest for now instead of finding jobs for him that sound great, find out why he wants to stay at the temp agency. If your planning on getting married and eventually having a family I hope he will come to realize that working at a temp agency is not going to support a growing family in the long run.

Good luck to you. -Darcy