Two steps forward, one step back

iVillage Member
Two steps forward, one step back
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 4:55pm
Well, after getting my new home semi-organized, and organizing my clothes, and realizing I could definitely use more suits, Frugal Fannies announced their going-out-of-business sale. So I charged $850 worth of work clothes. I couldn't take it out of savings, because I just paid for our new mattress and a weekend at a B&B.

Then I charged a dress form for sewing, $130.

I had been doing so well, with budgeting, and using up what's already in the house for food, and trying to do Flylady stuff instead of spend money.

Looking back now, I think what got me off track was not tracking my spending. I'm going back to the envelope system,which worked for me.

I have $4 in my checking account, and get paid on May 1st. That's a loooooong way away. I'll be getting money in on the next two Sundays for teaching dancing, so I'll transfer that over to my checking account, just to have a couple of hundred in there until payday.

The two steps forward part (I know, that was about five steps back!) is that I've paid my final utility bills from my old apartment, I transferred a credit card balance from a card that was about to end it's 0% rate onto a new low interest rate card, and I'm NOT going to charge another thing. I just bought gas and groceries on Amex, and I'm going to pay the whole Amex bill on the first when I get paid, instead of waiting until the 20th when it's due. and NO MORE CHARGING. I'm going into the kitchen to cook some frugal meals now, and then I'll log on to the frugal kitchen web site to get some more ideas. I made some Master Mix this morning, for pancakes and muffins. Then I bought a carton of whipping cream for $1.69 that will make lots of whipped cream, instead of buying a can of redi-whip for the same price, and it will be gone in a week.

Seems I'm penny-wise and pound foolish though, and I want it to stop. I'm going to read Jerrold Mundis' book instead of flylady for a while.

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com