Credit report questions

iVillage Member
Credit report questions
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 3:34pm
Here is my continuing saga. I am the one who recently paid off $15K in credit card debt, refinanced car loan for good interest rate and lower payment, and I am consolidating my student loans for a lower payment and interest rate. I still have $1500 to go on credit cards, but I am on my way toward paying that off.

I asked for my credit report to review it and got if from Experian. I was so happy to see that I had nothing negative, no late payments or anything and the information is basically all accurate (a few accounts which now have a zero balance need updated). So I sent in the updates but I think that it is in really good shape. In the past my credit report/score has only been so-so not because of late payments or anything but because I had so much outstanding debt. I now have $80K in student loans (which is being consolidated) and $8400 in car loan. Once the $1500 in credit cards is paid off (in the next 3 months) that will be it. That's pretty good right? I am keeping one credit card open with a zero balance and $500 credit limit and then the one that has the $1500 on it (that is also the credit limit). And I have a revolving overdraft on my checking account of $500. How does that sound? Is there anything else I can do to improve my report? Do I need to pull the report from the other two agencies and check it as well?

How do I get my score? It doesn't come with the report. But I just refinanced my car loan from 8.5% to 6.19% interest and they gave it to me so my score can't be that bad.

Thanks!

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 5:26pm
I think everything sounds great and you are handling the credit card situation correctly. =)

I would definitely check the other two agencies. Most creditors run all three and take the middle score. Also, some items that are correct on one may not be on the other. When you request your credit report ask if they could provide you with your score. =)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-21-2003 - 3:40pm
I got mine from creditreport.com. I ordered all three reports and the score was included. (wasn't real happy about the score... but not surprised either) I don't know where you can get your score without ordering another report. Maybe someone else can help. Congrats on the progress!

Sharon