HELP - need to move out by MAY!

iVillage Member
HELP - need to move out by MAY!
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 2:31pm
I need some help!

I am trying to move out of the place I live in. My daughter and I live with a roommate, and we agreed that things just are not working out. I have until the end of May to find someplace to live. She has already given me my 30 day notice (even though I have until May 31 to be out of her house).

Problem is my credit history sucks. I am scared to death that I won't find somewhere that will rent to me based on it. I am clean, I don't smoke, and I've only had a FEW late rent payments in the past 4 yrs that I was renting. (Some of that time, I was unemployed and STILL made rent on time!) My BF and I have been applying together - his credit isn't nearly as bad as mine, but I'm still worried.

Anyone have any ideas? I am really starting to sweat about this. I live in Michigan - are there any agencies that might help?

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 4:15pm
Depends on exactly how bad your credit is, and why. Mine is less than ideal but not too bad. Whenever I'm applying for apartments I always tell them ahead of time what to expect on my credit report and why, but that I always pay rent on time. Give them the names and numbers of previous landlords they can verify the information you tell them.

As far as "agencies that might help", I don't know. For apt hunting, try mlive.com if they cover the area you live in. They have a nice search function where you put in the area you're looking for, what type of place, min # bedrooms, max $ rent. It's under Real Estate -> Rentals. If you have an "Apartment Search" type locator service in your area, check them out. They can help you locate an apartment and can sometimes help you find limited-time deals, their service is free to you, the landlords pay them to locate tenants for their property.

If you live near a college, you might be able to find a sublease, students are graduating around this time and for some of them that means it's time to relocate. Maybe pick up a copy of the school paper, they sometimes have classifieds including rentals and sublets. A lot of times the current tenant will pay a portion of the rent when they want someone to finish up their lease.

Good luck! ~Jen

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 9:01am
I live in Michigan too. Depending on where you live, maybe you could rent a flat or small house. DH and I have a cute 2 bedroom lower for $600. Landlord didn't do a credit check on us. Maybe that would work depending where you live if that option is avail. to you.

Rebecca

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 1:07pm
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and over the years I've had about 6 or 7 apartments. Of all those apartments, I've only had 2 of them run a credit check - usually b/c the property was being rented by a company rather than a person/landlord. I think that most landlords try to get a sense of the person they're renting to rather than go through the trouble of running, and reading/understanding a credit check.

Are you paying rent right now to your roommate? Maybe you could write a glowing letter about yourself and how timely you are with rent, and have your roommate or your current landlord sign it? My past ll's have definitely checked references, but not gone the credit report route.

I hope this helps. Deep breath - you'll do fine! Being in limbo with a deadline is what's causing the most stress I would guess.

Also, whenever I'm looking for an apt, I have an entire application that I put together ahead of time which contains essentially the same information that would be on an apartment app. Most ll's have been blown away by the organization of it all. You might consider doing the same.

Danni

All my best,
Danni