Can I just say, it's so nice to be.....

iVillage Member
Can I just say, it's so nice to be.....
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 6:42pm
getting organized?!?!

I grabbed the mail, saw my cable bill. And for the first time in... like... EVER, I opened it immediately, had pen, checkbook, AND stamps all handy (I could NEVER seem to find all 3 at the same time!)... wrote that check, put on the stamp, entered it in my checking register, put the bill stub in my "cable" file, and took that sucker back out to the mail!

Isn't it amazing, that something like this can BE amazing? Like, paying a bill immediately is such a big accomplishment? I'm SURE some of you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I used to always pick up the mail, glance at it, set it aside without opening it, and suddenly be surprised when I notice I've let several weeks worth of mail go unopened... or worse, find several unopened bills, open them, and wonder which one is the latest and how much do I REALLY have to pay now?

I hope I can stay in good habits and this instant bill-paying becomes the norm rather than the exception. And heck, it only took a minute! It's taking longer to write this post, than it took to open and pay the bill!

For those of you who have never accomplished this inspiring and gratifying task... it's not hard. All you have to do, is DO it.

Cheers ~ Jen

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 10:06pm
Dear Jen,

I know EXACTLY how ou feel. Although not as often as I would like! I know that Flylady has been encouraging DO IT NOW. I've been dreading making a call to change my investent place. Putting it off fo MONTHS. I finally called and it only took 10 MINUTES. Why do I do this to myself and my finances? I've started being late again, I don't know if it's fear or what, but I didn't send off bills on time (stuck in the bottom of my teacher bag and now I'm coming close to the deadline again for 30 days late.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be doing happy dance for you. You go, girl!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-22-2003 - 10:09pm
Jen this is great news! My best advice is stamps...lots and lots of stamps! Funny how the bill people manage to include an envelope, but that's it!

It's terrific victories like these...and continuing to be proud of yourself...that make up the steps of change.

As soon as I quit my job and money got tight, I found myself letting unopened mail pile up again (old habits). Be sure to tackle the mail daily - it does give a great sense of accomplishment and it's a great reminder that you can do anything!

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 7:57am
What is so awesome about this site and these people here, is that we know how we feel or how we would feel to do what you did. Congrats on this big accomplishment !! Be proud of this moment and the next one to follow !!
iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 10:50am
Congratulations on your DO IT NOW attitude. A suggestion to make it even simpler is online banking. I've been using is for almost a year and it is amazing. No stamps, no envelopes, no trip to the mailbox.

Another thing I use is the Budgetmap register. This is portable. I keep it in my purse so I always know the amount available for each budget item.

Julie

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 11:28am
Thanks Julie, actually I do pay most of my bills online already. There are still a few that I can't including my cable internet (duh? go figure) and electric, so I have to do it snail mail. I do love my direct deposits, my checking bank has transaction view online, as well as my retirement and 529 investments, I started my ING account, my CC's and cell phone are now "paperless statements" so I have less mail and can see it instantly.

Can you tell me more about this "Budgetmap"? I never heard of it.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 2:39pm
I saw Budgetmap recommended by fwallace, I think, on another money message board. It sounded interesting so I decided to check out the website budgetmap.com. I ordered the product and have been using it since March 1.

It's designed to fit in your checkbook and used as a register. It's compact and efficient. I have my complete budget, savings goals, and expense tracking with me at all times.

I have struggled and tried to figure out the perfect budget. I feel with this tool I'm closer than ever to finally having a plan I can stick with long term.

Julie

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-23-2003 - 3:31pm
Ah, right on. So it's a variation on a checkbook register, for ALL tracking of money spent. I know something like that wouldn't work for me, since I don't carry a checkbook anyway LOL... but I am looking for a nice case for my PDA which has Pocket Quicken so I can track expenses on the go and then synchronize with Quicken on the computer. I just don't have a case to carry it yet, and I would hate for my Palm to get damaged (it was a somewhat pricey investment for organization sake). Paper and pen just historically don't work for me - I do better with gadgets, LOL!
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 2:31pm
I have a sony clie that I use all the time with pocket quicken as my check register. I bought a aluminum rhinoskin that fits very snugly around the pda, it has a hinged lid and openings for the ports and stylus. I then put that into a universal pda case with velcro attachments for holding the pda in and my other wallet type stuff (id, cards, cash). It's very compact and I can either stick it in a pocket or a purse without problems or worry.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 2:36pm
That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for, that I haven't been able to find... "a universal pda case with velcro attachments for holding the pda in and my other wallet type stuff (id, cards, cash)." All the ones I've seen that have the space for cards & cash are too big & bulky to bother with. Any tips on where to find it? Thanks!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 3:12am
I picked mine up at CompUSA. It looks a lot like this http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=276934&pfp=BROWSE

They also seem to carry the aluminum cases for just about any pda.

I did not feel that the strongman leather cases held the pdas in well, only the ones with self adhesive velcro.