Need Help

iVillage Member
Need Help
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 12:09pm
Hi everyone. I have visited this Board often and have to say that you are all very supportive and offer great advice. I have a spending problem and it took me forever to realize it. I have a small debt in my own name that my dh has no idea about. It is probably about $1,500.00. I am behind on making the payments on the 2 credit cards that have the debt and I really want to rectify the situation. My problem is that since dh doesn't know about this debt and I can't tell him about it now or he will leave me and I seriously mean that. We have had an issue like this in the past (a long time ago) and he had told me that he would leave. Therefore, I have to make the payments on my own but I cannot meet the monthly minimum payments on both credit cards. Is there something I can do or write to the cc companies about making a smaller monthly payment and to cancel the cards? I don't want the credit cards any longer b/c they only get me in trouble and I can't stand the stress it is causing on me with not being able to make these payments. Plus the overlimit fees and late charges keep adding up. Not sure if sending them something in writing or talking with them can get these charges to stop.

I know my problem doesn't sound bad to some of you but it is for me. The stress that I am living with daily is very bothersome. I would appreciate your input and suggestions.

TIA

Marlo

iVillage Member
In reply to: ali050100
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 12:46pm
Hi Marlo - thanks so much for posting here on the board. This is actually a great question for the Debt Q&A Board - http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-mldebtqa

We are all here for you and absolutely understand your stress. Many of the women who post here have debts that are hidden from their husbands, and I can feel your fear of telling him. I'm so sorry for this situation.

I don't know how the CC companies would react to a smaller payment - usually your ability to reduce payments happens when you end up in collections. This could be bad, though, because if they happen to call you and your dh answers the phone, he may learn of the debts through someone other than you.

Please check in with the Debt Q&A Board for the specific answer to your question, and please join us here for emotional support. EVERY debt is a big deal to us - doesn't matter the size.

You're in my thoughts,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 12:50pm
Thanks Danni. I appreciate your advice. I will post my question on the other board. Actually, I have the 2 statements and phone calls going to my parents house and dh never goes there unless I am with him so him finding out anytime soon is not likely but I wouldn't say that for sure.

Marlo

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 4:23pm
Marlo,

May I suggest you consolidate the ccs. Or you can try to find another card w/low interest, no annual fee and transfer the balances. I don't understand why your minimum payments will be high, if you owe $1,500. Try to consolidate it into one cc

good luck.

MYM

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-24-2003 - 7:38pm
call the credit cards and tell them of your situation.

tell them you want to close the account and your cutting up the cards.

and then do it.

if they can't work with you I just joined a debt management company that will help you cut your payments down and work with the credit companys.

I found them through lowermybills.com

try them also.