Getting to know you...

iVillage Member
Getting to know you...
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 12:14pm
Just thought it might be nice to do some sort of introduction thing...I'll go first.

I'm 28, divorced, and a single mom to a great 10 yr old girl. I am currently in debt about $12-15K, not including college loans (thank GOD for deferments)! I live in Greenville, MI and work full time as a Sales Support Associate for a nationwide insurance company. I like music, movies, reading, the outdoors, volunteer work and more...

NEXT?

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 2:34pm
Great idea!

I'm Sharon. 27, married 5 years, have one two year old daughter. Our total debt equals about $110K. Only $52K of that is mortgage. Some of it is student loans and boat loan, but a good $34K is unsecured credit card debt. (ouch) Thankfully I landed a decent paying job and we're making progress on it. Slow... but progress none the less.

DH and I are boaters. Well, he's the boater. I go along for the ride. My joy is my baby girl. When I do find free time I like to read and play on the computer.

Sharon

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 3:14pm
I'm 31 years old, have two children, daughter who soon will be 5 and a son who is 3 1/2. WE live in UPstate NY, we also have 3 big dogs and 6 kids and when I say 'we' I mean dh and I, he is 29. We have about 30k in cc debt and we don't do much for fun, we work and work and work and it's so depressing....so that is our story!

Corinna
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 3:25pm
I am 22, newlywed, living in Phoenix AZ working as a software engineer. DH and I have about $9000 in car loans, $15000 in student loans and $5000 in cc debt plus a mortgage. Student loans are in deferrment, as I am taking classes. Money is in the bank for most of the cc (it is 0% for now so we are going to pay it off a month before it is due so we don't get interest charges.)

I am trying to get bills paid off quickly becuase I want to quit my job (which I HATE), or at least cut back to half time, so that I can go back to school. So I have to have money saved for tuition and to supplement DH's income while I am in school. Right now we are doing pretty well on two incomes but absolutely could not make it on one, plus I make more so it is going to be about a 60% reduction in income. The plan is for me to start in the fall of 2004 (if I get accepted).

I dont really have any hobbies becuase I am taking two graduate classes and working full time. Plus our house needs some attention so I usually spend my weekends cleaning the house, doing homework, and cooking for the upcoming week. (and bugging DH to do the yard work and stuff)

UGH I need a vacation. In a dream world my hobbies would include sitting on the beach, and scuba diving and reading FOR PLEASURE.

MEg

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 3:26pm
I'm 32 years old. My H is 34 years old. We have 17 month old twins. A boy and girl. We also have a cat. We have been married for 5 1/2 years. Our anniversary is July 5th. Our DD had a liver transplant 13 months ago. She is doing well, thank God.

We currently have $34,000 in cc debt (due to an A my husband had). We have $19,500 in student loans.

We live in New York City. I am a SAHM. I plan to finish the 3 semesters I have left to earn my college degree, once the kids are in school.

MYM

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 4:33pm
Hi, I'm 31, I've been married for 2 1/2 years. No kids. Two dogs and two cats though!

I started working on our debt about a year ago. At that time it was $3800 cc, $6000 car loan and $7000 student loans, for a total of $16800 or so.

Now we're down to about $5600 of student loans.

I can't wait to be done. I have learned so much from the wonderful people

on this board. I couldn't have come this far without them.

I'm looking forward to a well-deserved vacation (by myself!) this June.

Otherwise, I like hiking with the dogs, working on the house/decorating,

gardening, yoga, cooking.

Welcome!

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 5:26pm
I am 39, sahm to two ds's (ages 2 1/2 yrs and 5 mos old). I have been married for 4 1/2 yrs and dh and I are about 20k in debt. We live in Calgary, Alberta. I love the outdoors (we are an hours drive from the Rockie Mountains) and love to hike and camp. I also love to scrapbook and photography (they do go nicely together). My dh and I are still struggling to payoff our debt - we just seem to stay at the same balance! LOL But we are working on a plan and hopefully we will soon see the results of it.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 6:01pm
I am 42 years old. I've been married 25 years. I have a DS - 24 and DDIL they live on their own. I have a DS - 20 who still lives at home. I work full-time as an office administrator. I live in Texas.

Right now I'm focused on cc balance payoff. In Jan 03 cc balance was 8859 it's now down to 2040. I have more debt that I'll focus on when cc balance is gone.

I enjoy gardening and decorating. I just shopped at lunch (using Christmas gift card) and bought 4 hot pink Tidal Wave petunias, 18 medium pink Wave petunias, 3 white geraniums, 2 tomato plants, 6 zucchini plants. My weekend will be busy.

Julie

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 6:34pm
Hi. I am a sahm of 3 children. A 5 year old daughter, 3 year old son and 1 1/2 year old son. In addition to that I work from home (which is a great opportunity to earn extra money).

My hubby and I just found out that our refinance went through and just need to set date for closing (probably 2 weeks from now). We will be able to pay off most of our c.c. debt and BOY AM I THRILLED!! I am very motivated at being debt free and hopefully with all the wonderful people here and alot of work, we can save for that big trip that my kids desearve so much......Walt Disney World.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 6:35pm
I am also in MI Married two boys 13 and soon to be 15,

indebt over 100,000 including the 2 mortgages.

got to include your mortgage if you have one.

slowly paying off my bills fighting with insurance companies and state on who is to pay my medical bills.

Next!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 9:03pm
Thanks so much for starting this thread! I'm Danni, one of the board cl's. I've been MIA for a bit - but I promise I'm back! I'm 31, and recently married (as in just 2 weeks ago). I was about 16K in cc debt, got that down to 3K, and because of an insane tax situation, we're very newly 57K in cc debt all over again. It's scary and kind of freaking me out - but once that's over, I'm very logical and will have a plan asap to deal with it.

We have no children yet, but we have GREAT pets! We've got our shelter dog, Angel - she's a boxer mix. We've got our cockatiel Elmo, and our 2 senegals, Pinot and Sinbad. Finally, we've got our rose breasted cockatoo, Lucy. It's a full house, but we love sharing our home with these wonderful critters.

I'm very excited to be back involved with the board as I tackle this new found debt.

All my best to everyone here! I love how we're all here for each other.

Danni

All my best,
Danni

Pages