So close I can almost taste it......

iVillage Member
So close I can almost taste it......
Fri, 04-25-2003 - 11:16pm
This is what I have been thinking for the last week...I'm really actually getting there with the credit card debt. I NEVER thought that it would be gone. I have had a huge unsecured credit card debt for FIVE YEARS now...It was last September or so that I decided for good that things had to change. That meant my habits, mostly.

I had tried several times before to pay off the debt and I never got anywhere because I never stopped charging. What I hadn't hadn't figured out was that it didn't matter how big of a payment I made if I didn't leave enough cash in the bank account to live on until the next paycheque....What really helped was I started a decent job with a regular schedule last September, so that made it easy(ier) to change my habits. I get paid every Thursday...I figure out each week what needs to be paid and what I need to buy, do it asap after getting paid, then I would put the rest of what was left to credit cards and savings...and leave $20/week for emergency cash...This has worked wonders. I also don't use credit cards for anything anymore except online shopping, but that is INSTEAD of going to the mall.

I started out this year with about $4200 of debt on three cards. I don't remember the exact figure. I am down to about $2400 now. I have just over $700 left on one card and about $1600-something on the other...And I have $1200 in my ING account...and my tax return is on the way.

I have been so downtrodden, depressed, and feeling like I have no future for so long now--five years, really. I am finally starting to dream (for real) about having a house, and planning what I will grow in the garden (raspberry canes feature prominently, as do tulips and a great ceramic pot with an interesting assortment of things by the front door....)...I am happier, though still fight depression. I care about ME now. I am losing weight--the weight goes down in proportion with the reduction in stress...

The hardest part is fighting the urge to put all my savings on the debt just to speed the process up...the closer I get, the harder it is to be patient. I am soooo excited. I can't believe it is so close. I really thought I might be half way there by Christmas, but I might be completely done with credit card debt by sometime in June.

It's not all easy street though... I still have over 10K in student loan debt, and 10K that I borrowed from my mum last year. But it feels so much more hopeful, and worth doing now that I have almost gotten rid of the credit card debt. I think that is because the other debt is not revolving debt, like the credit card debt has always been.

On another note, the great temp job that I have had since mid January ended today. So that could be a real spanner in the works for me, but I am NOT going to worry about it. Something else good will come along soon because I have done a good job for the temp agency. I just went for my last grocery shop for awhile...I've spent about $70 this week in food, and that will have to last quite awhile. That doesn't buy much (and I am very careful and frugal about shopping) because things are sooo expensiver here).

I just wanted to share a happy story...I haven't posted in a long time and I have waited a long, long time to post this. I hope this is inspiring to those of you who were feeling like I was feeling a year ago. If you work really hard (and change your habits at the same time), you CAN pay off your debts!

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2003 - 1:58am
Hey, I just "saw" you on the Frugal kitchen board LOL! (I asked about the bread makers)

WOW! Good for you!!! I have just really gotten serious about paying off our debts and your story is inspiring!! I, too, am recovering from depression and this is the first time in 2 or 3 years that I have felt like my old self (thank you Zoloft!). I hope that you are seeking treatment (wether it be meds or therapy) - both can do wonders. I have not felt this good in such a long time!

Congrats and good luck on paying off the rest!

Sandra

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2003 - 5:34pm
Sweetie - I am so, so happy for you :) :) :) I *REMEMBER* the posts when things weren't going well and you were depressed about the debt, and no matter how many times any of us posts on this board about fears, and we get uplifted by others...there is often a lingering doubt. I *LOVE* to read posts like yours here because you continued to plug away at a goal, and you're starting to realize it will happen for you!

I think that when dreams become more and more of a reality - depression can be held at bay. There's nothing worse that wanting things that, because of our own actions, we can never have. Change our actions, and things become attainable :)

All my best to you!

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-26-2003 - 9:43pm
Congrats when you get that paid off find your next thing to get paid off whether a car or house

keep it up
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-27-2003 - 6:59pm
Your post totally made my day. I know I shouldn't let my debt dictate my feelings of confidence and self worth, but it does (despite my best efforts). So hearing that your dreams and hopes are again reappearing as you see the light at the end of the debt tunnel gives me hope that I'll feel the same when I begin to make real progress in my debt reduction effort (I'm not there yet).

I'm not familiar with raspberry canes, but what a cool sounding plant! Just the visual image the name conjures in my mind makes me smile. Thanks for your uplifting message.