Update (sorry its Long)...

iVillage Member
Update (sorry its Long)...
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 1:50pm
Hello,

I posted about a week ago regarding my situation. I am behind in all my utilies, and mortgage and have no insurance and I am 5 mos. pregnant. I also, don't have a license. Well, I tried calling the utility company and tried to make arrangements and they refused because I am so late. Basically they told me to come up with the money or they would shut my service off. So, I spoke with my boss. I told her my situation. What she did for me was advance me my yearly bonus of $3000.00 which is a thousand more than last year. I get this instead of a raise which is fine with me especially now that I needed a big chunk. But, she wanted to see me actually write the checks and mail them in front of her. I guess she thought I wasn't going to do it. I don't know. It makes me feel very embarrassed especially my position being her bookkeeper... So, I paid the past due on the light, the water, and my kids daycare, $1600.00 towards my backed up mortgage which I am behind 2200. and $200 towards reinstating my license. My SO' s employment agency offers health insurance and they claim not to have a pregnancy limitation so we applied for the insurance and once the deductions start I should have insurance. I hope. I'm still behind on my mortgage and now my car payment is past due by a week but, things look a little better today. I tried depositing the check she gave me but, the branch near my job the manager told me she was going to put a hold on it for 5 days. So, I called another branch and spoke to customer service and they told me that they don't see a reason to put a hold on it since I have deposited company checks before so I am going to run to that branch before they close and make my deposit.

I want to work up a plan so, that I am not bouncing checks and am able to pay for everything/catch up fully so that I don't fall in this same situation again. I am 28 and am a mom of two and another on the way. I don't want to be like my mom who is just figuring out her financial life way after we left home. I want to be able to teach my kids about money so, they don't have to go through this emotional draining, embarassing situation.

Sorry so long, but, I have so many different emotions right now. I can't get my thoughts straight.

Thanks for reading,

Brenda

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 2:13pm
Good luck to u it sounds like u have alot on your plate. However, it seems like u have a good boss. For an employer to give you your bonus in advance, that says alot about the relationship u two have. Glad to hear it's getting a little better for u.

MYM

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 2:34pm
Brenda,

I'm so happy for you, because you were brave enough to face someone and ask for help, and also that you were responsible with the money you received. But mostly I'm proud of you, for trying to pull your life together, financially and otherwise. It sounds like you have broken the chain of financial ignorance in your family. Good for you!!!

Lee Ann

www.werenotafraid.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-29-2003 - 2:50pm
You got so much done in one day! I am so happy for you. We are all learning this stuff together. You are obviously a good employee to get an advance like that, and very brave for asking. Now you can chip away to being caught up, and then snowflaking, and one day we will all be debt free!

Rebecca