I feel trapped

iVillage Member
I feel trapped
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 7:12am

Help I don't know what to do. I want to Divorce my husband of seven years. We been together fifteen. We have a two year old whom we had to give to his brother n siter n law for open adoption. But thats another problem. We owned a house two years ago and decided to sell it and move closer to our son. We made a profit or he thinks he did. A total of $67,000.00 You see he owned it with his mother my name was not on it therefore he thinks I am not entiteld to any of it. He keeps it in his checking account but he does pay the rent every month I pay utitilities every month plus food. He screams when I write a check out to me if I need it. Let me tell you I only take small amounts hardly anything and I feel as though I am steeling. I hate myself> I also owe about 7.000.00 in bills and he refuses to help me with them. I am tired of fighting with him. To top it off my attorney from our adoption case said that he will handle my Divorce for me but I need 1,500.00 dollars up front. I have no money thats why I feel trapped. I also need money to find a place to live. Also my husband is verbaly and emoitionaly abusive to me use to be physical. I also on SSI because I have Parkinson's. I am trying to find a part-time job to help my situation. I am also going to need another used car soon and I know he won't help me with that. Can anyone suggest anything I'm desperate.

iVillage Member
In reply to: cuttingj
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 9:43am
Have you looked into local womens shelters? What about family? Can someone help house you while you move forward with the divorce? If family understands that you're trying to remove yourself from an abusive situation, they may be more forthcoming with help.

I would talk to the attorney again and see if that $1500 up front is a firm figure. If he senses that you may at all be entitled to any additional money from your husband, it's possible he'll require less up front.

Divorce is expensive - but the cost is so much less than that of your self esteem and your health staying in an abusive situation. You might also like to check out the Money & Relationships board here on iVillage. I've found that board to be very responsive to all sorts of situations! http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-mlrelations

I hope your family can help!

All my best,

Danni

All my best,
Danni