Today is my anniversary...

iVillage Member
Today is my anniversary...
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 2:03pm
And I don't know how to feel about it. I am hoping DH forgets about it, because we don't have the money to celebrate, and I wouldn't want him to feel bad about it. On the other hand, will he feel worse if he remembers that he forgot?

How do you approach this kind of thing? Personally, I don't have any problem with letting it slide with no more than "Happy Anniversary", but DH always feels bad when I don't get anything. And I have been doing without a lot lately.

I just don't know what to do. I hope he forgets about it until next year. Honestly, I don't want anything, except for him to be happy.

~Brit

Mom to two wonderful girls!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 2:11pm
What about opting to celebrate it in 3 or 6 months? This way you can save up for a something small to get each other? Or how about your gift to each other is something around the house that you want him to do or vice versa? Or how about a massage every night for a week from him or a foot massage? Be creative, there are so many other things that are more special without having to pay for them. Good Luck and let us know what happens.

JJ

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 2:47pm
It is our anniversary today too...20 years!! My husband works on the road, so he isn't home...he did call me and wish me a happy anniversary. We really don't do anything too special, maybe we'll do something this weekend...usually just going out to eat. We were going to do lobster this year, however, he had emergency mouth surgery last week and can't eat solids for 2 months...so there went that idea. However, the additional strain on our budget from the unexpected surgery kinda put things in perspective, and we definitely don't need to spend $, when we are looking at a $1900 dr bill.

I do hope you have a happy anniversary. Just appreciating each other in small ways and looking forward to the day when you can plan an anniversary trip or special dinner out.

Have a good day!

cindylee

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 2:51pm
How about having a quiet dinner at home w/soft music and candlelight? It does not matter, even if it is a pizza pie. It's the thought of celebrating your love to each other. Another idea could be, giving him free homemade coupons. For example, a free massage to name one. There's many ways to creative and not spend much.

Just a suggestion. Happy Anniversary!!!!

MYM

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-01-2003 - 3:54pm
I ALWAYS tell my DH a few days before our anniversary that if he wants to KEEP having anniveraries, he is NOT to buy me anything. After we laugh about it, I just let him know that if he were to spend money on me it would stress me out even more and the best thing he can do is to save our money. A few times he did not listen to me, but most times he does.

Mother's Day is coming and I let everyone know that I want the "Family Tree" from Hallmark. This way I control the amount spent on me without DH or kids realizing it.

These are just a few things I do that may help you also.