THIS is most of the reason I'm in debt

iVillage Member
THIS is most of the reason I'm in debt
Fri, 05-02-2003 - 5:13pm
So last night our neighbor came over to tell us that our water is leaking into his yard (from our sprinklers) He was very nice about it and said that he would call the HOA to find out what kind of drainage plan they have and why we are having this problem.

The problem is that we bought the house 6 months ago and we put real grass in where the previous owner had astroturf, so we didnt add dirt just started watering. Apparently our dirt level is a lot higher than his, and our yards are very small and separated by a wall. So we have to fix this, we really have no choice, I mean not only do I not want to upset the neighbors, but the HOA will make us anyway. So DH and the neighbor seem to think that we can just put in a drainage ditch or something and that will fix it, but I dont really understand how that would work, so I was up all night last night with visions of having to rip out all the landscaping and regrade the backyard, and pay to have all that dirt hauled away. to the tune of thousands of dollars - ok I am overreacting I admit it but it is something I can't help, I always jump to the worst conclusion.

Anyway, that isnt even the problem. I mean it is but that is not why I say I am in debt, these things just happen sometimes right? but the problem is, what did I do today to make myself feel a little better? I bought a stockpot online and went out to lunch. So in other words I am stressed about money so I spend. that makes a lot of sense huh?

I should at least say that the stockpot was on sale at amazon, and I needed one to make my big batches of chili and stuff so we can save money on lunches, and I have been eyeying this one for a while everytime they put it on their friday sale. But still, I should have kept fighting the urge, I mean I didnt REALLY need it, I could continue to transfer my chili and stuff into two pots when it got too much for my big one. And the point remains that I guess i use shopping (along with eating) to make me feel better. Maybe I should be on the shopaholics board.

Megan

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-03-2003 - 12:05pm
Hi Megan. Lots of us spend when stressed. Have you checked out the Compulsive Spenders board? I check in there from time to time - http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-mlcompulsive - shopping really can be a compulsive behavior. AND, what gets me, is I can NOT buy something for a very long time...but once my stress level gets high enough, suddenly I fixate on this or that thing I've had my eye on. It's not easy, that's for sure, but once you identify that you succumb to this behavior, you're on your way to avoiding it in the future.

All my best to you,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-03-2003 - 11:49am
Megan, I spend when stressed too. Esprcially on meals out. If I could get over this I would not only have more money, but also I could lose a few pounds too! Easier said than done. One thing is that I do not under any circumstances except Christmas, allow myself to shop on-line. No amazon, no ebay, nothing. I had withdrawls at first, but it has been over a year. Not including xmas, but you can't beat free shipping!

Hang in there! Maybe those men can dig you a ditch. It sounds like you have a very nice neighbor who is willing to work with you! Some people would have had the HOA reprimand you!

R