I'd love to join....

iVillage Member
I'd love to join....
Sat, 05-03-2003 - 2:07pm
Hi, my name is Angela and I'm a married SAHM with 3 kids (9, 6, and 2). We have always lived paycheck to paycheck. We spent way too much money all the time and never built up any savings. The kids were in Catholic school ($$$), various activities, and we ordered out - a lot. Then in January of 2001, dh lost his job and we lived on unemployment and WIC for half the year. He found several very low-paying jobs (which got us some health insurance, thankfully). Finally in September 2002, dh landed a job close to his old salary with excellent benefits and a promising future.

We learned so much in those 20 months than ever in our lives. We live very frugally now and know what is and is not important. In 2001 we had $25,000 debt (paying the minimum for those 20 months). I started snowballing the payments last September and we are currently at 10,600. We paid off the remainder of my student loan, 3 credit cards, and a large bank loan in a matter of months. I am sending $1300 a month to our last 2 credit cards. We should be completely out of debt by December of this year. Dh's layoff was truly a blessing in disguise.

What has worked for us is snowballing, menu planning, specific shopping lists, sales/coupons, grocery shopping once every 2 weeks, keeping our home decluttered, and finding the most inexpensive way to do everything, lol. We have to keep focused on our goal and frugal/simple living is important. I look at it like a game. Lately a few wrenches keep getting thrown into my plan (dd9's hospital bills, dh's incessant spending (grrrr), dd6's "special" food, etc.) but overall we're making lots of progress.

I would love to be part of a great support group like this to share progress, ask questions and opinions, and help where I can. You all seem like a great bunch of people.

Angela

Angela

Come see my BLOG!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 12:13pm
Welcome Angela! It sounds like you are more than halfway home with your debt-reduction plan and have learned to make frugal living fun. It sounds like you have been through a lot but learned how to creatively cope with the challenge and are better off for it. We are very glad you joined us. We welcome you involvement and your input. I loved your upbeat, matter of fact post about how you coped.

Keep coming back often.

cl-12by10

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 4:41pm
Angela - Welcome! We're thrilled to have you here :) We would love it if you would join us here at the Debt Support Group. We're all in different stages of repayment, discovery, and sometimes panic.

I *love* that you found the bright side to what must have been a difficult time for you and your family. I'm always looking for the "life lesson" in anything that I do, so it's great to meet others who can do the same.

Welcome aboard - this is a terrific group of women (and the occassional man too) ;-)

All my best to you,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 9:28pm
Just wanted to welcome you to the board...I can appreciate what you went through, we are living it right now. My DH got laid off end of this January, I have 3 kids (9, 6 & 2 - soon to be 3) and another one on the way. It has certainly been an interesting experience if nothing else (unfortunately, he hasn't been getting any jobs, so no insurance) but is changing careers so we hope this to be a good thing...just going to be a bumpy ride.

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 8:17am
Hi Becky. I was 7 months pregnant with #3 when my dh got laid off. We weren't prepared because I KNEW there was NO way they would do that to US. Dh went on tons of interviews but he didn't get anything for 8 months, and then a better paying job 7 months later, and where he is now 4 months after that. He took whatever came along. My senior ad exec dh worked a t a deli, took an enty-level data entry job, and even a construction supervisor position at GROUND ZERO.

I know you and you're family will be alright. Did you apply for WIC? It's such a big help and you'll get a lot of food for a long time and even more if you breastfeed. Like I said, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise because of what we learned. Keep a positive attitude. You'll all get throught this. And congratulations on you're pregnancy.

Angela

Angela

Come see my BLOG!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 9:05am
Angela - Thank you, it definately is a rough spot to be in. I also thought DH was *safe* from the lay-offs as he had been with the company 9 1/2 years, was cross-trained and had turned 40 (guess we assumed they wouldn't lay him off because once you hit 40, you are in the older worker category and from our understanding couldn't outright fire him and hire someone younger). Unfortunately, because he was with the company so long he was making a nice salary and that made him a big target. :(

He hasn't even gotten calls to go on interviews, it is so bad around here right now for computer jobs, etc.. and we followed up every lead people gave us and it was always the same thing "we aren't hiring right now but you can send us your resume to keep on file", so he sends it in.

So boiled down to a Hmmm...what new career would you like to do because computer field is dead right now and we don't have time to wait for it to pick back up. So, since he has a background in Real Estate, he has decided to go for his Real Estate licenses and become a sales Agent. It will be rough to start with but better than what we have now.

I didn't apply for WIC yet because when this happened since we lost insurance and I didn't want pregnancy to be pre-existing, my only thought was to go apply for public aid, so I went and applied for "whatever we can qualify for"...basically applied for food stamps & Medicaid. We were approved for Medicaid for me & the kids, DH didn't qualify because of unemployment, so all I can say is he can't get sick, injuried, etc... and we did get about $150 food stamps. So, I'm not sure you can do WIC and food stamps together but since we are doing OK with the food stamps, I don't feel right also trying to get WIC plus I need to figure out how to even apply for that. Once we get on our feet more, I will probably try to apply since from my understanding they have a higher income allowance then food stamps do.

So, we just muddle through. If all goes well and he gets his licenses, we are hoping to see some money in July (he has 2 more weeks of class then can take the state exam, then there is 2 weeks training and then well, have to get listings and close a house before you see any money, so I'm thinking July would be the earliest and that probably won't be much but it's a start). In the meantime, he's still applying for jobs, but we still aren't getting any calls, so...

Becky

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 9:23am
Becky,

You can get WIC for yourself and your kids. It does not matter that you are on food stamps. It's different. One doesn't have to do with the other.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 12:37pm
Welcome Angela, I'm so glad you are here, it seems I could learn so much from you. I SO need how to be better at things and I'm SO trying but somedays feel like I'm failing....so I'm glad your hear and would love to hear more on how you did it....if you'd rather talk through email that would be fine.....it's dellis2@nycap.rr.com, thanks and have a great day!

Corinna
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 1:26pm
Hi Corinna. I understand wanting to have email pals, but if we all take the conversation off of Debt Support Group and into email, then there is no support group. We really do get the most and best support right here on the board.

Ms Joe

Ms Joe
CM Ms Joe Cool
Senior Community Moderator
moneylifecm@mail

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 1:40pm
Hi Corinna! It took a major life upheaval for me to change the way I think about money. I would love to help you with your budget if you'd like! I feel I have finally come to a place in my life that feels "right". I just organized my parents' budget and already they have several credit cards fully paid off. I have a whole new understanding about credit cards, bills, shopping, food, and all things dealing with organization. When ds was born, we had NOTHING and had to pay $1000 to COBRA to continue health insurance (which went on credit cards). We were UNDER the minimum for ChildHealthPlus. The one thing we kept was our computer and I researched frugality every chance I got. So, I'd love to email with you. I just need to fix my email account first. LOL

Angela

Angela

Come see my BLOG!