Update on Job Interview

iVillage Member
Update on Job Interview
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 4:45pm
As many of you know, I had a job interview on Thursday. I was both surprised and pleased to learn at the end of the interview that the attorney was sending potential applicants home with a writing assignment. I just finished the assignment, and I'm thrilled. Ladies...I really think I have a shot at this job. I will turn my writing sample in tomorrow morning, and hopefully know by Wednesday whether or not I got the job. I really think this is something I will enjoy. The law firm practices family law, which is a WHOLE NEW area for me. I love being on a learning curve, so it would be such a grea opportunity for me.

Figers crossed...

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 6:42pm
Danni, That's GREAT!!! What huge changes in your life of late!!! Can you tell us more about it, like, what is the position you applied for?, What did the lawyer want you to write?, and is this something you went to school for? I wish you all the luck.

Back in October, I had an interview with my state for a position in the welfare department and I got a letter in Feb that they are waiting for another position to open up in the location I requested. It's taking my job forever, but I'm taking the time to "FLY" and get my debt down so I can Start fresh when they call. I have not worked in 10 years!!!

I'm sure you will hear by the middle of the week!

PS By no means did I imply that you would also wait long LOL

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 8:14pm
How exciting! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

cl-12by10

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 8:40pm
I'm sorry - I didn't mean to be vague :) I'm a paralegal, and the position I applied for is a paralegal position for a family law practice. I've never worked in family law before, so I'm pretty excited about it. I was an English and French major in college, and I never did go to law school or obtain an official paralegal certificate, so technically I didn't go to school for this, but I've been doing paralegal work since 1994, so I've definitely got the training.

The lawyer provided me with a "typical" statement that she would receive from a client looking to revisit the visitation clause of a divorce judgment - lots of misspellings and written in a very rambling manner - sometimes going off in directions that just don't matter. My job was to reorganize the client's statement and make it clear and concise so a judge would read it and reconsider the order. I was also supposed to "tug at the heart strings" a bit. I think my finished product does that. I cut 2 and 1/2 pages of writing down to one clear and concise page!

I hope the job with the state works out! I would *love* 10 years off :) I've been out of work since February, and I've had just the right amount of time to get myself back in order and know what is important to me, etc. Going back to work now will definitely help with debt reduction - and the sooner we reduce our debt, the sooner we can focus on our future!

Have a wonderful Sunday evening,

Danni

All my best,
Danni

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 10:38pm
Fingers and toes crossed here for you. My FIL works at Friend of the Court (I don't know if it called the same in other states?) and so many of those cases tug at the heart strings. I am not sure I would be able to work on that stuff, I am a softie. Hopefully Wednesday we will both have reasons to celebrate (frugally of course!)

Rebecca

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 10:53pm
Great attitude!!!

Sending postive thoughts your way.

MYM

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 8:47am
That sounds great! I'll be sending positive thoughts your way!

It sounds like you have a very good shot.
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 9:08am
That is great Danni!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Becky

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-06-2003 - 2:47pm
Good Luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!